Pre-season so far....

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Pre-season so far....

Postby ACDon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Are you happy with the players we have shipped out and the players we have confirmed are staying with us?

Who would you realistically like to see us sign?

What are your thoughts on the growing list of players being brought in (or being linked with us) from the Scottish leagues?

Looking at our current squad, how many player do you think we need to sign to complete our squad for the start of the 2017/18 season?

I know it's relatively early days but personally, I am surprised at the lack of activity, we supposedly start training soon and our pre-season friendlies begin in less than three weeks.
ACDon

Re: Pre-season so far....

Postby dons50 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:18 pm

I understand that recruiting players at this stage isn't easy. Players become available at our level once the PL and Championship have made their decisions.

I'm more worried about who we've lost, or those we're likely to lose. Potter, Baldock and Reeves are all quality footballers. I hope this isn't a move to a more physical, long ball approach.
dons50

Postby ACDon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:44 pm

dons50 wrote:I understand that recruiting players at this stage isn't easy. Players become available at our level once the PL and Championship have made their decisions.

I'm worried about who we've lost, or those we're likely to lose. Potter, Baldock and Reeves are all quality footballers. I hope this isn't a move to a more physical, long ball approach.

I would also add Dean Bowditch to that list (3rd all time MK Dons top scorer), a player who without his injuries would have played regularly at a higher level IMO. Never been his biggest fan but David Martin was a decent enough keeper at league 1 level, Nicky Maynard (despite having had a below par 2016/17 season) will score goals at league 1 level and Daniel Powell (4th all time MK Dons top goal scorer), I will be interested to see how he does at Northampton Town. I'm far from confident we will be able to replace these players with players of equal or better quality, I suppose time will tell.
ACDon

Postby dons50 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:01 am

ACDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:I understand that recruiting players at this stage isn't easy. Players become available at our level once the PL and Championship have made their decisions.

I'm worried about who we've lost, or those we're likely to lose. Potter, Baldock and Reeves are all quality footballers. I hope this isn't a move to a more physical, long ball approach.

I would also add Dean Bowditch to that list (3rd all time MK Dons top scorer), a player who without his injuries would have played regularly at a higher level IMO. Never been his biggest fan but David Martin was a decent enough keeper at league 1 level, Nicky Maynard (despite having had a below par 2016/17 season) will score goals at league 1 level and Daniel Powell (4th all time MK Dons top goal scorer), I will be interested to see how he does at Northampton Town. I'm far from confident we will be able to replace these players with players of equal or better quality, I suppose time will tell.

Yep, a lot of players to replace in one go. I can't see this being anything other than a transition year.
dons50

Postby ACDon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:40 am

I'm not entirely sure of the standard of opposition (yesterday's opponents play in the Hungarian division 2) but it sounds as though the pre-season games in Hungary gave us a fair test and served their purpose. Not particularly concerned about the results, with new faces the most important thing is for players to get minutes under their belt, get to know their new team mates and ultimately get match fit. We still have three more tough looking friendlies before the new season kicks off on August 5th, so hopefully we will hit the ground running on August 5th.

Match report from yesterday's 4-2 defeat. https://www.mkdons.com/news/2017/july/d ... -friendly/

And an interview with Robbie Nielson's in which he gives his views on the Hungary tour and our pre-season so far..https://www.mkdons.com/news/2017/july/r ... -reaction/
ACDon

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 am

Defensively & in midfield (without seeing them) it looks like an A from me (no I'm not a teacher ;) ), but the hardest bit is getting quality forwards and we still have to address that, although Robbie has acknowledged that in the last video. Probably out of our league but Luke Berry looks like a good buy and after the recent signings, I am less concerned that we are just get Scottish based players. I am cautiously optimistic, although it will take a while to bed in the new players and take time for them to play as a team.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 am

I thought the UK PSFs revealed a serious lack in quality. However, several of those players who I thought still had too many deficiencies failed to make the Hungary trip, so I see that as a positive.

I'm pleased that my hope over many seasons for greater physicality is finally coming about. But I agree we now need more pace, trickery and delivery on the wings, plus a physical striker or two capable of scoring and bossing opposition defenders to enable more goals from midfield.

I don't know how others felt our PSFs so far went - for me there wasn't any sense of a settled team yet. But then Robbie is building for different shapes.

I'm not expecting too much from the opening phases of the season. By mid-September I hope we'll have enough of the necessary team dynamics to make a push.
MKDF

Postby newportdon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Fairly happy so far
We seem to have gone back to paul ince successful model of building the team up from the back
Hopefully a new striker to put the ball in the back of the net from crosses from ariyibi
maybe a job for Agard .
newportdon

Postby Furzdonny » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 pm

I see it's a cunning plan by Robbie to lose all our friendly games (except the local ones) and to lure the opposition into a false sense of security. :D
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:55 am

Furzdonny wrote:I see it's a cunning plan by Robbie to lose all our friendly games (except the local ones) and to lure the opposition into a false sense of security. :D

:lol:

It's quite interesting though isn't it. Of the games i watched there was not much cohesion on display. Guessing the shift from a single pattern of play to several, added with so many changes, means the understanding is going to take a bit longer.

Robbie seems to feel though that he wants a win on day 1, so it's not about philosophy for him. :D
MKDF

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat