MK Dons v Chelsea U21s

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

MK Dons v Chelsea U21s

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:50 pm

A few points from last night's game;

Only 1549 Dons and 158 Chelsea fans watched a decent game.

Chelsea may have fielded a team of youngsters but nevertheless, some had first team experience and included internationalists Carvalho and Batshuayi in their expensively assembled squad. We started 7 players aged 22 or under.

Class told, Chelsea dominated possession and were far more competent and incisive than us. They deserved to win but 4-0 flattered them a wee bit, especially when considering their second goal should have been flagged offside (as agreed with the Chelsea supporter sitting behind me) and the third was due to an awful and embarrassing mistake by Sietsma.

Muirhead put in some excellent crosses but no one ever looked likely to attack them. Other than those crosses, Muirhead was poor. He is said to be homesick and I wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned to a Scottish club in January.

Seager tries hard, was ineffective and could/should have scored twice. His loan could also end in January - provided we have that option in his contract.

It is understandable that our players feel frustrated in such a game but, late on, to commit so many stupid fouls shows a lack of discipline. Williams, Upson, McGrandles and Nombe were all cautioned with the Williams tackle being worst of all. Williams was very fortunate shortly after his first caution when he again made a bad tackle and got a strong word in his ear from Ref Gavin Ward. Williams could justifiably have been given a red for two bookings - and he is our captain, supposedly there to calm the situation!

We have had bad memories of Referee Gavin Ward in the past but he was pretty good last night, kept the game flowing and used his cards when he had to.

Saddest sight of the night was seeing Nesbitt going off with an obviously painful foot injury. There must be some doubt about him being fit for Saturday.

Thomas-Asante was the sponsor's MOTM but I would have gone for Nesbitt - he was the only one who looked capable of breaking through their defence.

Nothing to do with the game but Callum Brittain was interviewed before KO and was obviously happy and quite chirpy after his England under-age appearances. Said he was carrying a slight injury at the moment which should kill the rumours that he is absent because of a falling-out with the club.

Lastly a tip for you gamblers out there - get a few quid on Chelsea to win the Checkatrade trophy - they have the ability and desire to do so.
LinsladeDon

Re: MK Dons v Chelsea U21s

Postby MKDF » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Agree the second was definitely a yard offside. Also strong appeal for a foul on Seager before they got their first.

I though Mr Ward was slightly over-protective of their players. He pulled us back for shoves and allowed them freedom to knock us around.

The cards counted for nothing so doesn't really matter.

The Chelsea XI were far less effective after Scott and Chalobah went off and Upson came on, which says a lot.

While there was a huge gulf in class, I thought it was a tactical mistake to give them the freedom of the pitch throughout the first half. We packed around the box only to hold off any tackles, allowing them to wander through at will. Easier said than done I guess.

When we finally closed them down, they were less assured.

I enjoyed watching the Chelsea 'kids' ;) but I thought I understood more about our kids than I did before. As a unit, they are not developed enough yet to know how to compete in difficult football matches.

No wonder we are struggling even in league one. Our kids (being the majority of our first team) are not ready for it.

So, three experienced first team players in January please Mr W. Some of the lamer ducks will be going home then I expect anyway to clear some space and funds.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Yes Chelsea were a class apart. I thought the 2nd goal was good, but I bow to your judgement. A few things struck and they weren't thrown by the crowd, although what some expected I have my doubts. Why did we play on a Wednesday? It gives us one less day to recover and allowed them to play Batshuayi. Saying that Robbie must have known that they were quick and we were too open in midfield. We really we needed two holding players, but I suspect to the absence of Cisse & Gibley with the end of the loan of Tshibola, showed we are at least one short in the engine room.

I'm not having a go at Brandon Thomas-Asante and he deserved MotM as much as anyone else, but he does have to simplify his game and I don't understand this going around in circles. If he can't see an opportunity by the time he can say it, pass it, it doesn't have to be back, but lay it off to someone else. If it was good enough for Dele Alli it should be good enough for Brandon.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:52 pm

I agree FD.

The main takeaway for me was that we need to add significant experience in January if we want to push for promotion this season.

If we go for more youth, we should expect the push to come next season or the one after. Cos they won’t be ready otherwise.

...Unless a miracle happens. ;)
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:54 pm

So many points mentioned above that I would like to comment on but don't necessarily feel it is the right time with all the rumours and negativity around at the moment.

Just one point though, look at Chelsea's previous results in this competition, they don't look too impressive and I very much doubt they will win the competition, perhaps there are several reasons they beat us last night, but I think deep down the majority of us know the main one. ;)
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:32 am

Some good points being made by all.
I agree about our 'kids' not having developed enough yet and Thomas-Asante touched on that at his presentation. He said words to the effect that he knows many of the Chelsea lads as he has played against them before and now seeing how they have progressed has given him the insight, confidence and determination to go about the work he needs to do to attain that standard.

That we badly need some experienced players in January is clearly evident and hopefully one of them will be a leader - I still think we have lacked on-the-field leadership for far too many seasons now.

We played on Wednesday because Chelsea, as a club, had European commitments on Tuesday night.

Good point about those Checkatrade 'yellows' not applying to other competitions - I hadn't thought about that.

Chelsea have so many youngsters that they can select any team for any occasion and their performances in the group stage isn't really relevant - they did enough to qualify and will select stronger teams as they progress. Incredible to think that they also have 36 players out on loan at the moment. The main reason Chelsea beat us last night is the old fashioned pounds, shillings and pence!

Whilst talk about a push for promotion next season or the season after is perfectly logical, I have doubts about whether our more vociferous 'Robbie out' supporters will allow Robbie that time. PWs interview comments might have placated some of them for the moment but I can't see them giving Robbie longer than until this time next season - at the most.
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:45 am

Interesting stuff LD.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:37 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:We played on Wednesday because Chelsea, as a club, had European commitments on Tuesday night..

That is true but the players in the Checkatrade shouldn't have been the same ones as playing the Champions league, while the number of fans hardly warranted it and while it was showed on Chelsea TV, is this justifable considering we have one less day to recover?
Furzdonny

Postby newportdon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:46 pm

They certainly mean to win it with a line up like that
no league 1/2 team will get a look in . the best we can hope for is getting out of group stage if we meet one of the prem teams and the fans will get even more apathetic
The speed of their forwards was stunning and they managed to get 4 players around ours in an instant denying any options .
Through skill they managed to keep the ball alive where we were happy to let it run out of play.
newportdon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat