Emphatic win needed

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Emphatic win needed

Postby MKDF » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:49 am

Against KFC, I think we need more than a win, it needs to be emphatic to make that statement of positive intent for the remainder of the season [and to give those mongrels a good shove down].

Who would you select and how would you approach this match?
MKDF

Re: Emphatic win needed

Postby Furzdonny » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 am

In my opinion that puts too much pressure on the players. I would like a win by any means but as long as we don't lose, play reasonably well and put in a shift, I will be partially satisfied.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am

Furzdonny wrote:In my opinion that puts too much pressure on the players. I would like a win by any means but as long as we don't lose, play reasonably well and put in a shift, I will be partially satisfied.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. We simply need a positive result, the pretty performances can come later in the season when we are safe. Make no mistake, they will be well up for it Saturday, the tackles will be flying in and there's a good chance we will see cards of both colours from the Referee. Saturday will be fiercely competitive but I doubt if it will be a game for the football purist.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 am

Fair points chaps. Let me paraphrase, we need to maintain our intensity for 90 minutes. With an emphatic win (no scoreline implied) it would be an important positive statement.

Who would you select and how would you broach the game?
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 am

MKDF wrote:Fair points chaps. Let me paraphrase, we need to maintain our intensity for 90 minutes. With an emphatic win (no scoreline implied) it would be an important positive statement.

I believe the team is beginning to pick itself. I assume Pawlett, Gilbey, Ebanks-Landell & Golbourne will be back in. I would be tempted to bring in Brittain, but he hasn't got much match practice so I assume it's Williams. I believe Cisse will play, but I'm hoping he doesn't do too many flicks or step overs, while McGrandles seems to get the edge over Upson. I believe Sow is still suspended and I expect Ugbo to get the nod over Agard and Seager.

I expect the typical Dons & Neilson tactics, keep it tight and to play on the floor at first, but increasingly hit long balls to Chuks. Hopefully grab the 1st goal and hang on for dear life as we are unlikely to get a 2nd and if we concede the 1st goal, heads will drop and we can't expect a fightback until the last 15 minutes. I expect for 30 to 45 minutes we will play well and for the rest we will be pants as normal. ;)

I just hope we don't get someone sent off.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Furzdonny wrote:

Unless he plays for the mongrels. ;)

Your thinking looks sound to me though maybe see Cisse rested on the bench and play mcgrandles and upson.
MKDF

Postby LinsladeDon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Furzdonny wrote:
MKDF wrote:Fair points chaps. Let me paraphrase, we need to maintain our intensity for 90 minutes. With an emphatic win (no scoreline implied) it would be an important positive statement.

I believe the team is beginning to pick itself. I assume Pawlett, Gilbey, Ebanks-Landell & Golbourne will be back in. I would be tempted to bring in Brittain, but he hasn't got much match practice so I assume it's Williams. I believe Cisse will play, but I'm hoping he doesn't do too many flicks or step overs, while McGrandles seems to get the edge over Upson. I believe Sow is still suspended and I expect Ugbo to get the nod over Agard and Seager.

I expect the typical Dons & Neilson tactics, keep it tight and to play on the floor at first, but increasingly hit long balls to Chuks. Hopefully grab the 1st goal and hang on for dear life as we are unlikely to get a 2nd and if we concede the 1st goal, heads will drop and we can't expect a fightback until the last 15 minutes. I expect for 30 to 45 minutes we will play well and for the rest we will be pants as normal. ;)

I am not so sure the team is beginning to pick itself. As the season has progressed, players have become fitter, more used to each other and have a better grasp of the manager's tactics, many have improved to an extent that they deserve to be selected but we have a fairly decent all-round squad wherein there are many permutations the manager could chose. With just a few exceptions, no one now really commands a place. This is exactly how it should be in a good squad and Robbie is now able to look at the opposition more carefully and select the players most capable to do well against their particular style of play.
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:53 am

It's important we get a positive result today and lets not forget a draw is a better result for us than them, so a draw isn't necessarily a bad result, though it will make next week's game at Northampton (which wont be easy) all the more important. Looking at the league table and stats, AFC Kingston have conceded 7 less goals than us, so breaking them down will not be easy, patience (from players and supporters may be needed today) Plenty of football still to be played and almost anything can happen. Our upcoming 5 or 6 games are important but nothing will be decided either way whatever the outcome of these games.

Having said all that......We mustn't lose today!! ;)

COYD.
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am

Expecting a hard game today, hard in more ways than one with both teams probably more psyched-up than normal vying to get something from this game. Simple fact is we need to beat teams that are below us in the League - especially when at home. And we can do it!!! COYD.
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 pm

LD I would just change 'need to beat' with 'should be beating'. Hard game yes, but we have a better squad and our physicality should be overcoming thei physicality.

IMO
MKDF

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat