Pre-season...... What do you think of it so far?

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Pre-season...... What do you think of it so far?

Postby ACDon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:23 am

We have only just reached mid June and we have already seen the arrival of five senior (potentially) first team players. Probably the most interesting for Me is Joe Mason, if he can rediscover some of the form and skill I saw him display whilst playing for Cardiff City then I think we may have hit the jackpot, though as with the majority of this type of signings there has to be a few ifs and buts and with Mason it has to be his lack of game time and goals over the last couple of years, I'm not entirely sure of the reasons for this but one thing is for sure, an inform player like Mason would be beyond our financial reach, so hopefully it is a calculated gamble that pays off. The other four players we have brought in, Hiram Boateng, Brennan Dickinson, Jordan Bowery and Regan Poole all come with fair credentials and could also turn out to be decent signings.

Disappointed to see the likes of Thomas-Assante and Oran Jackson leave the club (I thought they both had ability and something to offer) but understand we can only have so many squad players and the need to strengthen before we enter the fray in league 1 is paramount. If I am totally honest, one of my biggest criticisms of Tisdale is the lack of opportunities he gives to youngsters that have come through our academy, have standards fallen or are these players simply not good enough? I'm not convinced it is either, but the memories of such talents as Sam Baldock, George Baldock, Dele Alli, George Williams and Brendan Galloway making their club debuts could soon become somewhat vivid.

In the past I have been critical of us being slow out of the blocks during pre-season and having to make desperation signings, so at least Tisdale has identified players he feels aren't good enough (the majority of I totally agree with), released them and replaced them with players he feels will be able to cut it at league 1 level.

What are your thoughts?
ACDon

Re: Pre-season...... What do you think of it so far?

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:28 pm

The one that excites me the most is Dickinson. Boteng seems to be a replacement for Cisse and Mason for Agard (who seems to be going to Gillingham according to the rumours). Bowery seems to be a squad player and Poole one for the future. The real test if Aneke signs or who we get as a replacement. In respect of the youngsters, it doesn't always work. Hopefully we will get some more through soon.
Furzdonny

Postby Furzdonny » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Furzdonny wrote:The one that excites me the most is Dickinson. Boteng seems to be a replacement for Cisse and Mason for Agard (who seems to be going to Gillingham according to the rumours). Bowery seems to be a squad player and Poole one for the future. The real test if Aneke signs or who we get as a replacement. In respect of the youngsters, it doesn't always work. Hopefully we will get some more through soon.

It seems I was wrong that Mason was a replacement for Agard. Now if I said Mason is a replacement for Chuks, might Chuks sign too? :D
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Furzdonny wrote:
Furzdonny wrote:The one that excites me the most is Dickinson. Boteng seems to be a replacement for Cisse and Mason for Agard (who seems to be going to Gillingham according to the rumours). Bowery seems to be a squad player and Poole one for the future. The real test if Aneke signs or who we get as a replacement. In respect of the youngsters, it doesn't always work. Hopefully we will get some more through soon.

It seems I was wrong that Mason was a replacement for Agard. Now if I said Mason is a replacement for Chuks, might Chuks sign too? :D

Or there may even be a chance that Aneke is now surplus to requirements because our budget for forwards has now been reached, haven't heard of many clubs fighting for his services.
ACDon

Postby dons50 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:48 am

ACDon wrote:
Furzdonny wrote:

Or there may even be a chance that Aneke is now surplus to requirements because our budget for forwards has now been reached, haven't heard of many clubs fighting for his services.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/06/19/w ... der-being/

Plenty will be after him. He’s easily our best player, I’d love to keep him.
dons50

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:35 am

dons50 wrote:Plenty will be after him. He’s easily our best player, I’d love to keep him.

I can't see it now as there are plenty of Championship & Scottish Premiership clubs after him, as it seems that using him as mainly an impact player hasn't put them off. My guess if that we will have to reply on an unproven loan player from a Premiership club at the last minute. If he does go, it might be argued that we need two players, a creative player and a big strong centre forward.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:36 pm

I'm far from convinced Aneke will (if given the chance) cut it at Championship level, as said he was an impact level for a league 2 side that staggered over the line for automatic promotion on the very last Saturday of the season. When he started games he looked laboured and slow and rarely lasted the full 90 minutes. I'm not doubting his ability (at league 1 or league 2 level), but he has never played at Championship level and the step up in class from league 2 is colossal, don't blame him for listening to offers from other clubs, just maybe a new club at a higher level will bring out the best in him, but I've got my doubts, time will tell and we'll see where he is in a years time,
ACDon

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:56 am

ACDon wrote:I'm far from convinced Aneke will (if given the chance) cut it at Championship level, as said he was an impact level for a league 2 side that staggered over the line for automatic promotion on the very last Saturday of the season. When he started games he looked laboured and slow and rarely lasted the full 90 minutes. I'm not doubting his ability (at league 1 or league 2 level), but he has never played at Championship level and the step up in class from league 2 is colossal, don't blame him for listening to offers from other clubs, just maybe a new club at a higher level will bring out the best in him, but I've got my doubts, time will tell and we'll see where he is in a years time,

So Chuks has gone to Charlton. I do believe he was better than you feel AC but it does remain to be seen if he can hack it in the Championship as you say. I feel he will also end up as an impact player from the bench for them. I thank him for his efforts and his contribution to our promotion (17 goals and 2 assists) and would like to wish him the best.

I hope we can get one or two accomplished replacements. One positive our recruitment team must be pushing is the number of our strikers who go on to better things in the Premiership & Championship. It must be second to none with other clubs and the list is long.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 am

Furzdonny wrote:
ACDon wrote:I'm far from convinced Aneke will (if given the chance) cut it at Championship level, as said he was an impact level for a league 2 side that staggered over the line for automatic promotion on the very last Saturday of the season. When he started games he looked laboured and slow and rarely lasted the full 90 minutes. I'm not doubting his ability (at league 1 or league 2 level), but he has never played at Championship level and the step up in class from league 2 is colossal, don't blame him for listening to offers from other clubs, just maybe a new club at a higher level will bring out the best in him, but I've got my doubts, time will tell and we'll see where he is in a years time,

So Chuks has gone to Charlton. I do believe he was better than you feel AC but it does remain to be seen if he can hack it in the Championship as you say. I feel he will also end up as an impact player from the bench for them. I thank him for his efforts and his contribution to our promotion (17 goals and 2 assists) and would like to wish him the best.

I hope we can get one or two accomplished replacements. One positive our recruitment team must be pushing is the number of our strikers who go on to better things in the Premiership & Championship. It must be second to none with other clubs and the list is long.

Fair comments, I've never doubted his ability and potential, but for a player who hails from one of the best footballing teams in Europe I don't think (for various reasons) he has got anywhere near to the level he could potentially reach, the name Mark Randall is another player in that category. During his time here he was nurtured back from a couple of bad injuries and we did see a few glimpses of what he is capable of doing (his superb goal at Peterborough United in 2017 immediately springs to mind) but sadly they were fairly few and far between for a player of his potential playing at a fairly low level, 33 goals in 94 appearances is not bad but hardly prolific. This coming season is massive for his career, hopefully he will cut it and go on to have a long career at a decent level.
ACDon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat