Rotherham United reviews.....

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby ACDon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 am

Pre-match I don't think many Dons fans held high expectations of getting a positive result against an in form Rotherham side, so the performance we witnessed in the first half came as a big surprise to all of us. We pressed high up the pitch, the passing was crisp, quick and effective, I would go as far as saying we looked more like a top 6 side than the Millers, IMO it was the best football I have seen from a Dons side since the Karl Robinson era. Never one to "count my chickens before they are hatched", I pointed out to a fellow Dons supporter (one of many doom and gloom merchants who sit near me in the East stand) at half time that we really needed that third goal and that we would see a much different Rotherham side in the second half, "no way" was his reply, "they are rubbish"! Well they are not sitting in fourth position in league 1 for no reason. My biggest concern at halftime was, could we maintain the high tempo levels we showed for the first 45 minutes and sure enough Rotherham made a couple of changes and came straight out the blocks in the second half, having substitutes with the quality that Ladapo and Vassell possess just goes to underline the strength of Rotherham and what we were up against. The game totally changed, suddenly we were on the back foot and up against it and although it took a mistake from Cargill's back header to Nicholls to put Rotherham back in the game, for me the writing was on the wall. Although changes probably had to be made, I'm not sure I agreed with them, I thought McGrandles and Brittain were both good yesterday and I would have kept both of them on. Whilst I don't like to single players out for criticism, there was one Dons player out there yesterday who looks (and has done all season) totally out of his depth, I'm not criticising his effort and I'm well aware our current options are limited, but surely bringing on the lively Asonganyi on around the 60th minute mark had to be the option to take.

Ok, the second half was disappointing and we did let it slip and yes, yet again as the stats confirm, Rotherham did probably just about edge it, but there are so many positives to take from yesterday's performance, I thought Houghton put in the best shift I have seen from him for ages, Gilbey looked more like the player we know he can be, McGrandles and Brittain both put in good shifts, whilst Mason oozes quality, get Nombe and Healey back by January and I'm confident we have the strength to pull clear of a relegation scrap. We wont be playing teams of Rotherham's quality every week and if we can get near to what we saw in the first 45 minutes yesterday in the coming weeks, we'll be fine.

We have some big, tough looking games coming up and the best thing to do in these circumstances is stop blaming the Chairman and get behind the players, they proved for a large period of the game yesterday that they are capable of competing with the top teams in this league, get a good result or two and I'm sure confidence levels will rise

BBC match stats..https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50442851

Any thoughts?
ACDon
 
Posts: 6671
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:26 am

They say it's the hope that kills you.

A terrific 1st half and a terrible 2nd half. I can understand Russell wanting to play out from the back but if it's done to the nth degree the risk rises exponentially and a team needs an out ball when it's not working. The Rotherham press meant that we were no longer progressing through the thirds and I would have placed Bowery on the smallest full back and used long diagonals as out balls. Saying that, their goals + penalty were very poor defensive errors, where only Poole comes out blameless.

I believe there is still a lot of work for Russell, the coaches and the team, in minimising errors (a long list for all three goals), locking away the self destruct button and working out to beat the press while still going through the thirds. A lot of positives, but a lot of negatives too. A word of advice for Russell, if the coaching manual isn't working, hit them over the head with it.
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby dons50 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:09 pm

ACDon wrote:Pre-match I don't think many Dons fans held high expectations of getting a positive result against an in form Rotherham side, so the performance we witnessed in the first half came as a big surprise to all of us. We pressed high up the pitch, the passing was crisp, quick and effective, I would go as far as saying we looked more like a top 6 side than the Millers, IMO it was the best football I have seen from a Dons side since the Karl Robinson era. Never one to "count my chickens before they are hatched", I pointed out to a fellow Dons supporter (one of many doom and gloom merchants who sit near me in the East stand) at half time that we really needed that third goal and that we would see a much different Rotherham side in the second half, "no way" was his reply, "they are rubbish"! Well they are not sitting in fourth position in league 1 for no reason. My biggest concern at halftime was, could we maintain the high tempo levels we showed for the first 45 minutes and sure enough Rotherham made a couple of changes and came straight out the blocks in the second half, having substitutes with the quality that Ladapo and Vassell possess just goes to underline the strength of Rotherham and what we were up against. The game totally changed, suddenly we were on the back foot and up against it and although it took a mistake from Cargill's back header to Nicholls to put Rotherham back in the game, for me the writing was on the wall. Although changes probably had to be made, I'm not sure I agreed with them, I thought McGrandles and Brittain were both good yesterday and I would have kept both of them on. Whilst I don't like to single players out for criticism, there was one Dons player out there yesterday who looks (and has done all season) totally out of his depth, I'm not criticising his effort and I'm well aware our current options are limited, but surely bringing on the lively Asonganyi on around the 60th minute mark had to be the option to take.

Ok, the second half was disappointing and we did let it slip and yes, yet again as the stats confirm, Rotherham did probably just about edge it, but there are so many positives to take from yesterday's performance, I thought Houghton put in the best shift I have seen from him for ages, Gilbey looked more like the player we know he can be, McGrandles and Brittain both put in good shifts, whilst Mason oozes quality, get Nombe and Healey back by January and I'm confident we have the strength to pull clear of a relegation scrap. We wont be playing teams of Rotherham's quality every week and if we can get near to what we saw in the first 45 minutes yesterday in the coming weeks, we'll be fine.

We have some big, tough looking games coming up and the best thing to do in these circumstances is stop blaming the Chairman and get behind the players, they proved for a large period of the game yesterday that they are capable of competing with the top teams in this league, get a good result or two and I'm sure confidence levels will rise

BBC match stats..https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50442851

Any thoughts?


Who’s blaming the chairman? :?
dons50
 
Posts: 2382
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am

Re: Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby ACDon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:22 pm

dons50 wrote:
ACDon wrote:Pre-match I don't think many Dons fans held high expectations of getting a positive result against an in form Rotherham side, so the performance we witnessed in the first half came as a big surprise to all of us. We pressed high up the pitch, the passing was crisp, quick and effective, I would go as far as saying we looked more like a top 6 side than the Millers, IMO it was the best football I have seen from a Dons side since the Karl Robinson era. Never one to "count my chickens before they are hatched", I pointed out to a fellow Dons supporter (one of many doom and gloom merchants who sit near me in the East stand) at half time that we really needed that third goal and that we would see a much different Rotherham side in the second half, "no way" was his reply, "they are rubbish"! Well they are not sitting in fourth position in league 1 for no reason. My biggest concern at halftime was, could we maintain the high tempo levels we showed for the first 45 minutes and sure enough Rotherham made a couple of changes and came straight out the blocks in the second half, having substitutes with the quality that Ladapo and Vassell possess just goes to underline the strength of Rotherham and what we were up against. The game totally changed, suddenly we were on the back foot and up against it and although it took a mistake from Cargill's back header to Nicholls to put Rotherham back in the game, for me the writing was on the wall. Although changes probably had to be made, I'm not sure I agreed with them, I thought McGrandles and Brittain were both good yesterday and I would have kept both of them on. Whilst I don't like to single players out for criticism, there was one Dons player out there yesterday who looks (and has done all season) totally out of his depth, I'm not criticising his effort and I'm well aware our current options are limited, but surely bringing on the lively Asonganyi on around the 60th minute mark had to be the option to take.

Ok, the second half was disappointing and we did let it slip and yes, yet again as the stats confirm, Rotherham did probably just about edge it, but there are so many positives to take from yesterday's performance, I thought Houghton put in the best shift I have seen from him for ages, Gilbey looked more like the player we know he can be, McGrandles and Brittain both put in good shifts, whilst Mason oozes quality, get Nombe and Healey back by January and I'm confident we have the strength to pull clear of a relegation scrap. We wont be playing teams of Rotherham's quality every week and if we can get near to what we saw in the first 45 minutes yesterday in the coming weeks, we'll be fine.

We have some big, tough looking games coming up and the best thing to do in these circumstances is stop blaming the Chairman and get behind the players, they proved for a large period of the game yesterday that they are capable of competing with the top teams in this league, get a good result or two and I'm sure confidence levels will rise

BBC match stats..https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50442851

Any thoughts?


Who’s blaming the chairman? :?


Plenty of our supporters, just read some of the posts on other forums and social media. Mainly accusing him of not spending enough money, when they don't really know or understand the facts. I know you've been around here long enough to know what I'm talking about. ;)
ACDon
 
Posts: 6671
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby Warwickshire MK Dons » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Mr winkelman needs to realise he can't do this on his own, he need to attract some kind of investment help, how ever you dress it up, carry on as we are, we will float between Leagues one and two for a long time, I'm looking what a certain Mr Robinson is doing at Oxford and the players he's managed to attract, we as a club have been in a mess since promotion to the championship, the poor recruitment for that, we wouldn't meet what Brentford wanted for Grigg etc, since then a series of poor and cheap option managers, I'm sorry I include Russell Martin in this, people need to realise what a state we're in.
As for yesterday's game, the first half was easily the best we've played for some while, but possibly should have been three up at ht, second half, they take off the two ineffective front two, and they were always going to improve, Poole nearly made it 3-0, Cargill should have put the ball in the stand, then we reverted to type.
As for players coming back and possible player's coming in, by then we could be ten points adrft, I can't see any positives at the moment, I'm sorry if this upsets people, we're going to really struggle to stay in this league, not because this league is too tough, it's not, we are no where near good enough all-round.
Warwickshire MK Dons
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby dons50 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:52 pm

ACDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:
ACDon wrote:Pre-match I don't think many Dons fans held high expectations of getting a positive result against an in form Rotherham side, so the performance we witnessed in the first half came as a big surprise to all of us. We pressed high up the pitch, the passing was crisp, quick and effective, I would go as far as saying we looked more like a top 6 side than the Millers, IMO it was the best football I have seen from a Dons side since the Karl Robinson era. Never one to "count my chickens before they are hatched", I pointed out to a fellow Dons supporter (one of many doom and gloom merchants who sit near me in the East stand) at half time that we really needed that third goal and that we would see a much different Rotherham side in the second half, "no way" was his reply, "they are rubbish"! Well they are not sitting in fourth position in league 1 for no reason. My biggest concern at halftime was, could we maintain the high tempo levels we showed for the first 45 minutes and sure enough Rotherham made a couple of changes and came straight out the blocks in the second half, having substitutes with the quality that Ladapo and Vassell possess just goes to underline the strength of Rotherham and what we were up against. The game totally changed, suddenly we were on the back foot and up against it and although it took a mistake from Cargill's back header to Nicholls to put Rotherham back in the game, for me the writing was on the wall. Although changes probably had to be made, I'm not sure I agreed with them, I thought McGrandles and Brittain were both good yesterday and I would have kept both of them on. Whilst I don't like to single players out for criticism, there was one Dons player out there yesterday who looks (and has done all season) totally out of his depth, I'm not criticising his effort and I'm well aware our current options are limited, but surely bringing on the lively Asonganyi on around the 60th minute mark had to be the option to take.

Ok, the second half was disappointing and we did let it slip and yes, yet again as the stats confirm, Rotherham did probably just about edge it, but there are so many positives to take from yesterday's performance, I thought Houghton put in the best shift I have seen from him for ages, Gilbey looked more like the player we know he can be, McGrandles and Brittain both put in good shifts, whilst Mason oozes quality, get Nombe and Healey back by January and I'm confident we have the strength to pull clear of a relegation scrap. We wont be playing teams of Rotherham's quality every week and if we can get near to what we saw in the first 45 minutes yesterday in the coming weeks, we'll be fine.

We have some big, tough looking games coming up and the best thing to do in these circumstances is stop blaming the Chairman and get behind the players, they proved for a large period of the game yesterday that they are capable of competing with the top teams in this league, get a good result or two and I'm sure confidence levels will rise

BBC match stats..https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50442851

Any thoughts?


Who’s blaming the chairman? :?


Plenty of our supporters, just read some of the posts on other forums and social media. Mainly accusing him of not spending enough money, when they don't really know or understand the facts. I know you've been around here long enough to know what I'm talking about. ;)


We can criticise players if they play badly. We can criticise the manager if results are bad. That’s all fine but we don’t know anywhere near enough to be criticising the owner. It’s his club. Without him we wouldn’t be able to watch league football in MK.
dons50
 
Posts: 2382
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am

Re: Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby Warwickshire MK Dons » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:47 pm

What happens in Milton Keynes doesn't bother me, only the football team are my only concern.
Warwickshire MK Dons
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby LinsladeDon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Fully agree with your excellent OP thanks ACDon.
As to where and how things go now is debatable but surely we can all see improvement in our approach to the game and style of play since Martin was appointed manager. Neither he, nor anyone else was ever going to change things overnight - we were that bad.
Martin has had a good footballing career and I don't see his appointment a cheap option, more of a visionary one by PW. It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, can or will be made in the January transfer-window - we can do little but 'ride the storm' until then.
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3454
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Re: Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby ACDon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:15 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:Fully agree with your excellent OP thanks ACDon.
As to where and how things go now is debatable but surely we can all see improvement in our approach to the game and style of play since Martin was appointed manager. Neither he, nor anyone else was ever going to change things overnight - we were that bad.
Martin has had a good footballing career and I don't see his appointment a cheap option, more of a visionary one by PW. It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, can or will be made in the January transfer-window - we can do little but 'ride the storm' until then.


The January transfer window is notorious for inflated prices, so I very much doubt we will see too many changes in our personnel, our best hope is we see the return of Nombe and Healey asap and build on what we showed in the first half yesterday against Rotherham. As for martin's appointment, only time will tell, the majority of Managerial appointments carry a certain amount of risk and for obvious reasons the appointment of somebody with no previous experience in management carries an even bigger risk, I'm hopeful that he can cut it.
ACDon
 
Posts: 6671
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Rotherham United reviews.....

Postby LinsladeDon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:38 pm

ACDon wrote:
LinsladeDon wrote:Fully agree with your excellent OP thanks ACDon.
As to where and how things go now is debatable but surely we can all see improvement in our approach to the game and style of play since Martin was appointed manager. Neither he, nor anyone else was ever going to change things overnight - we were that bad.
Martin has had a good footballing career and I don't see his appointment a cheap option, more of a visionary one by PW. It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, can or will be made in the January transfer-window - we can do little but 'ride the storm' until then.


The January transfer window is notorious for inflated prices, so I very much doubt we will see too many changes in our personnel, our best hope is we see the return of Nombe and Healey asap and build on what we showed in the first half yesterday against Rotherham. As for martin's appointment, only time will tell, the majority of Managerial appointments carry a certain amount of risk and for obvious reasons the appointment of somebody with no previous experience in management carries an even bigger risk, I'm hopeful that he can cut it.

Yes, the January transfer window is notorious for inflated prices, but we only need a couple of suitable players and 'when needs are must' you have to pay the going rate.
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3454
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am


Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron