Managers - Past & Present

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Managers - Past & Present

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:29 pm

Robbo; Was at the game last night looking at one or two Swindon players - or so he said, believe it if you wish. Also made some disparaging comments about some members of Dons staff and spoke of unrest amongst the players with three wanting to leave in the January transfer window. Stated that we will be in trouble with Bowditch now being out for six weeks.
Yes Robbo, you got the sack but most of us wished you well and would give you a warm welcome back anytime, but this really does sound like a bad dose of sour grapes. You may be right in what you say but in a relatively high profile job sometimes it is better to keep your thoughts to yourself. The more I hear and see, the more I wonder why you stayed with us so long and the more certain I become that your enforced leaving was justified.

Robbie; Continues to impress, the players look fitter, the pace of the game has been upped, we are playing for each other, supporting each other and some individual performances have been improved - notably (imo) Bowditch, Upson and Maynard. Still early days and nobody can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but Robbie is giving it a damned good try and the future sure as hell looks a lot more promising than it did a couple of months ago.

Any thoughts anyone?
LinsladeDon

Re: Managers - Past & Present

Postby dons50 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:33 pm

Where is it reported that Robbo said those things?
dons50

Postby dons50 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:42 pm

My initial thoughts are that both managers seem to play a similar style. Not much has really changed except we seem a bit more confident and form has improved.

I'd have preferred Robbo to stay but I also have a positive impression of Robbie. He's certainly a better choice than some of the names that were banded about.
dons50

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:17 pm

dons50 wrote:Where is it reported that Robbo said those things?

It isn't. Sorry, but you will have to take my word for it, I could say more but I don't believe it would be appropriate to do so. After all, I can hardly criticize Robbo for saying too much then do exactly the same thing myself.
LinsladeDon

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:36 pm

dons50 wrote:My initial thoughts are that both managers seem to play a similar style. Not much has really changed except we seem a bit more confident and form has improved.

I'd have preferred Robbo to stay but I also have a positive impression of Robbie. He's certainly a better choice than some of the names that were banded about.

I did notice Reeves tucking in more and according to Robbie we played a diamond until the substitution and did you not notice Kieran Agard getting into the box more (e.g. goals)? Although we did swap it about and the biggest difference is getting the ball forward earlier, not continually playing it around at the back until the opposition falls asleep.
Furzdonny

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:38 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:Where is it reported that Robbo said those things?

It isn't. Sorry, but you will have to take my word for it, I could say more but I don't believe it would be appropriate to do so. After all, I can hardly criticize Robbo for saying too much then do exactly the same thing myself.

If that is true then I'm sad that a six year relationship has turned so sour. We all need to move on and remember what he did when he was here.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:28 pm

I think quite a lot has changed. Our back four hold positions better and we're more solid in defence. Players are playing more in their natural positions. We are pressing higher up the field and moving the ball a lot quicker in the final third. Advanced players are getting more support and we are adopting different formations during matches let alone between them.

I'd say that already amounts to quite a lot.

As for Robbo, he was and will always be emotional.
MKDF

Postby dons50 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:24 am

MKDF wrote:I think quite a lot has changed. Our back four hold positions better and we're more solid in defence. Players are playing more in their natural positions. We are pressing higher up the field and moving the ball a lot quicker in the final third. Advanced players are getting more support and we are adopting different formations during matches let alone between them.

We did all that at various points when Robbo was here too. We had plenty of good moments in his six years too. People forget quickly. Form comes and form goes.
dons50

Postby MKDF » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:48 am

dons50 wrote:
MKDF wrote:I think quite a lot has changed. Our back four hold positions better and we're more solid in defence. Players are playing more in their natural positions. We are pressing higher up the field and moving the ball a lot quicker in the final third. Advanced players are getting more support and we are adopting different formations during matches let alone between them.

We did all that at various points when Robbo was here too. We had plenty of good moments in his six years too. People forget quickly. Form comes and form goes.

It seems you and I are polarised on this one D50, if you think it's all about form. But I agree there were plenty of good moments.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:38 am

dons50 wrote:

Yes, it's very early days for Robbie Nielson, even since his arrival our form has been patchy, the AFC performance was very good, but the performances at Yeovil, Gillingham and at home to Charlton were very similar to what we had been seeing under KR. Ok we did manage to beat a very poor Swindon side (who are currently in free fall) by the odd goal on Friday night but there is a lot of work still to be done. I think we will all have a better idea of where we are going by the end of February.
ACDon

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat