Managers - Past & Present

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Re: Managers - Past & Present

Postby LinsladeDon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:40 pm

MKDF wrote:I think quite a lot has changed. Our back four hold positions better and we're more solid in defence. Players are playing more in their natural positions. We are pressing higher up the field and moving the ball a lot quicker in the final third. Advanced players are getting more support and we are adopting different formations during matches let alone between them.

I'd say that already amounts to quite a lot.

As for Robbo, he was and will always be emotional.

Despite what I said in the OP; "Still early days and nobody can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear," I fully agree with MKDFs comments that Robbie has changed quite a lot in his short time. Robbie has surprisingly little to work with and it is even less now that Colclough has been recalled from his season long loan by Wigan.
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:06 pm

[quote="ACDon}

Yes, it's very early days for Robbie Nielson, even since his arrival our form has been patchy, the AFC performance was very good, but the performances at Yeovil, Gillingham and at home to Charlton were very similar to what we had been seeing under KR. Ok we did manage to beat a very poor Swindon side (who are currently in free fall) by the odd goal on Friday night but there is a lot of work still to be done. I think we will all have a better idea of where we are going by the end of February.[/quote]

And I would also add today's showing at Chesterfield to the growing list of mediocre performances under our new man in the hot seat, I'm not writing him off, just stating that things haven't improved much yet IMO.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:51 am

I think it is important to distinguish between the different contributors: the manager, individual players and the team as a whole. There is a possibility that several players are not good enough or their style doesn't fit our play (which in some ways is the same thing), others are still struggling with confidence, and the rest can't do it all on their own.

My personal view is that Neilson has already displayed some very sophisticated insights. Add to that, the club is clearly in a bigger period of change than we first imagined. A suspension, some injuries and some significant departures in the offing. It all adds up. And we are closer to winning more matches than we were in the latter days of Robinson.

By February I reckon we'll have no more than an impression of Neilson's ability. As a fanbase, I'd estimate we gave Robinson at least three seasons to establish himself. Just saying.
MKDF

Postby LinsladeDon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:42 pm

ACDon wrote:And I would also add today's showing at Chesterfield to the growing list of mediocre performances under our new man in the hot seat, I'm not writing him off, just stating that things haven't improved much yet IMO.

MKDF wrote:I think it is important to distinguish between the different contributors: the manager, individual players and the team as a whole. There is a possibility that several players are not good enough or their style doesn't fit our play (which in some ways is the same thing), others are still struggling with confidence, and the rest can't do it all on their own.

My personal view is that Neilson has already displayed some very sophisticated insights. Add to that, the club is clearly in a bigger period of change than we first imagined. A suspension, some injuries and some significant departures in the offing. It all adds up. And we are closer to winning more matches than we were in the latter days of Robinson.

By February I reckon we'll have no more than an impression of Neilson's ability. As a fanbase, I'd estimate we gave Robinson at least three seasons to establish himself. Just saying.

Thanks MKDF, saved me thinking about how to say exactly this - you have got it spot on. :D
May I add to the comment "things haven't improved much yet," that Robbie's first five League games have resulted in us gaining seven points and we have also knocked Charlton out of the FA Cup, whereas Robbo's last five league games saw us gain a meagre two points and knock Spennymoor Town out of the Cup. We were in free-fall under Robbo, at the very least Robbie has stopped that and stabilized us to a great degree.
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:54 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:
ACDon wrote:And I would also add today's showing at Chesterfield to the growing list of mediocre performances under our new man in the hot seat, I'm not writing him off, just stating that things haven't improved much yet IMO.

MKDF wrote:I think it is important to distinguish between the different contributors: the manager, individual players and the team as a whole. There is a possibility that several players are not good enough or their style doesn't fit our play (which in some ways is the same thing), others are still struggling with confidence, and the rest can't do it all on their own.

Thanks MKDF, saved me thinking about how to say exactly this - you have got it spot on. :D
May I add to the comment "things haven't improved much yet," that Robbie's first five League games have resulted in us gaining seven points and we have also knocked Charlton out of the FA Cup, whereas Robbo's last five league games saw us gain a meagre two points and knock Spennymoor Town out of the Cup. We were in free-fall under Robbo, at the very least Robbie has stopped that and stabilized us to a great degree.

I notice you forgot the 4-1 defeat at league 2 Yeovil LD. :lol:

As I said in my earlier post, this is only my opinion and the OP was referring to how much things have improved already. I do think given time RN will turn things round (as I also believe KR would have done) but I'm not expecting us to do a Barnsley this season.

I also agree Robbo had his faults, some of which were addressed others maybe weren't, but I've got fond memories of his time here and I'm not going to start dissing him just because he went through a bad patch and has now left.
ACDon

Postby SG19Cowshed Das Boot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:07 am

LinsladeDon wrote:

May I add to the comment "things haven't improved much yet," that Robbie's first five League games have resulted in us gaining seven points and we have also knocked Charlton out of the FA Cup, whereas Robbo's last five league games saw us gain a meagre two points and knock Spennymoor Town out of the Cup.
We were in free-fall under Robbo, at the very least Robbie has stopped that and stabilized us to a great degree.

These.
Change happening - fresh approach underway
Moneyball 2: The Sequel - Leicester City 2015/16
The Zone League 1 Fantasy Football Champion
Prediction Champion 2010/11 2014/15 & 2015/16
81/92
SG19Cowshed Das Boot

Postby MKDF » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:37 pm

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/1663 ... behaviour/

This made me larf. Anyone still have an ounce of regard for this fool? I thought him thick before, now I think 'fool' fits the bill. He has too few ideas, and I wouldn't be surprised if he boasted to his boss about easily pulling in the brilliant Carruthers, Reeves and Maynard for a decent fee each, and now has egg on his face.

It seems this bloke will never learn. Until he does he is destined for mediocrity.
MKDF

Postby dons50 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:37 pm

My opinion of any manager is definitely not based on how they speak in public.
dons50

Postby MKDF » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:57 pm

dons50 wrote:My opinion of any manager is definitely not based on how they speak in public.

My opinion places great weight on how quickly people learn from their mistakes, with the lowest reserved for those who repeat the same ones persistently.
MKDF

Postby dons50 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:12 pm

MKDF wrote:
dons50 wrote:My opinion of any manager is definitely not based on how they speak in public.

My opinion places great weight on how quickly people learn from their mistakes, with the lowest reserved for those who repeat the same ones persistently.

I'm only interested in mistakes related to playing football. I can understand people having a poor opinion based on our performance over the past 18 months, or indded a good one based on the period before that. I really don't care one way or another about this stuff.
dons50

PreviousNext

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat