Managers - Past & Present

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Re: Managers - Past & Present

Postby MKDF » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:23 pm

dons50 wrote:
MKDF wrote:
dons50 wrote:My opinion of any manager is definitely not based on how they speak in public.

My opinion places great weight on how quickly people learn from their mistakes, with the lowest reserved for those who repeat the same ones persistently.

I'm only interested in mistakes related to playing football. I can understand people having a poor opinion based on our performance over the past 18 months, or indded a good one based on the period before that. I really don't care one way or another about this stuff.

That's rather my point D50. Plus you seem more exercised about this stuff than you profess.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:17 pm

dons50 wrote:My opinion of any manager is definitely not based on how they speak in public.

Exactly.

I'm sure we can all remember plenty of instances when great managers like Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho haven't exactly covered themselves in glory with their public speaking.
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:32 pm

What I said about Robbo's comments in my opening post was true, but what I didn't say because it was only a personal opinion, was the bitterness and disdain in his voice at the time. So whilst this latest report says it is believed the "Clowns" are Milton Keynes (childishly refusing to acknowledge the word "Dons") we can all take it to be pretty accurate.

We were told that Robbo's departure was a mutual decision, and yes, we certainly have much to thank him for, but equally we stood by him for what was a very long time (especially in football management) when things were not so good. Furthermore, the club has not said a derogatory word against him since he left.

This mud-slinging is all of Robbo's own choosing and it says a lot more about him than it does anyone else. He has brought his own credibility into question and personally, I am neither angry nor bitter, I just find it so very, very sad.
LinsladeDon

Postby Furzdonny » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:43 pm

I think he being silly, but I expect as he in South London he wants to put as much distance between himself and the club, although I doubt it will do him any good.
Furzdonny

Postby SG19Cowshed Das Boot » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:27 pm

MKDF wrote:

My opinion places great weight on how quickly people learn from their mistakes, with the lowest reserved for those who repeat the same ones persistently.

This.

And compared with the previous 6 years of learning nothing from the same repeated mistakes, Robbie has already demonstrated how actions speak louder than the same old Robbollocks... :D
Change happening - fresh approach underway
Prediction Champion 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017
The Zone League 1 Fantasy Football Champion
81/92
SG19Cowshed Das Boot

Postby MKDF » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:11 am

Well, the early honeymoon period is over. How do we think Neilson is settling in?

I said in a previous post that it's fine beating poor teams like Pish and Northamption, but the real tests come against more serious opposition, and so it has proved. We've a long long way to go, and much building to do, which is a statement of the bleeding obvious of course.

The thing that is puzzling me is the absence of any particular style emerging under Neilson. All I can see is a directness, and a preference against patient build-up. Perhaps fluid is the right word, instead of the highly structured approach under Robinson. That aside, we've been playing a mix of hoof ball, releasing early balls, greater use of the wings, committing more men forward in attack, scrapping in the middle and sitting back to defend. While I see most of those as refreshing, I'm not sure they convey much in the way of any philosophy, other than working the ball better through the gaps.

Of course, we are very much in a longish period of transition, but I would be interested in others' views on whether you think any philosophy is emerging yet, and how he has settled-in during these two months.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:23 am

The only things I have noticed is that we try to get the ball earlier quicker and George Williams at left back doesn't overlap but George Baldock does. The left pace being provided by Harvey Barnes. I don't think the other transferees has caught the world on fire yet, but I suspect it will take time. A difficult period, with both Darren Potter & Joe Walsh suspended I understand. It seems if Chuks plays well so do we and if he doesn't, we don't ether.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 am

Firstly I will say I was never happy about the timing of KR's departure, I thought he should have either gone before the end of last season (when we were already relegated) or been given the whole of this season.

Taking over a side part of the way through a season is never an easy task, though there is often a lot of truth in the old saying; "a new brush sweeps clean". There have been some positive signs, like the loan signing of Barnes and the improved form of a few players, but as already said in MKDF's post, we still have a long way to go. There is still a fair way to go in this season and the play-offs are not an impossibility but come April we could find ourselves in a position where we are safe from relegation but not in with a chance of reaching the play-offs....this is when Nielson's pre-season needs to start, decide who he wants to hold on to for next season and where he wants to strengthen. He does seem to set the side up differently for various games which just like any other manager sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

I'm fairly confident our man will do a decent job given time.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:27 am

Do you think we'll become another Preston (physical, direct) or Brighton (physical, with more craft), or something completely different?
MKDF

Postby LinsladeDon » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:14 pm

MKDF wrote:Do you think we'll become another Preston (physical, direct) or Brighton (physical, with more craft), or something completely different?

Longer term, why not a mixture of all three, craft, physical and direct?

I say 'longer term' because Robbie's first priority upon arrival was to ensure our survival in League 1. He had to assess our strengths/weaknesses and act quickly as we were in free-fall and the short 4-week window in which he could do business was only a few weeks away.
He has been fairly successful in that we are no longer in free-fall and seem capable of a mid-table finish. There is now little hope of bettering that as the last three results and performances have been poor and, including the number of injuries and suspensions has shown just how threadbare our squad really is and how much more needs to be done.

It is therefore far too early to say whether we will be this or that style, but whatever it is I feel we have a manager who knows what is needed and it may well be a year from now before we can judge what direction he is taking - but my money is that he will be taking us upwards. :D
LinsladeDon

PreviousNext

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat