Managers - Past & Present

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Re: Managers - Past & Present

Postby ACDon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 pm

The jury is out on Nielson!!
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:14 am

ACDon wrote:The jury is out on Nielson!!

The fella that sits behind me agrees and cannot see anything positive about signing Muirhead for 2 1/2 years.
The fella on my left agrees with the one behind and adds that we are also in danger of relegation.
The sweetie on my right (Mrs LD) agrees with the fella on my left.
The fella in front agrees with them all plus anything negative and is not renewing his season ticket for next season.

Help please, it feels like I am a lone voice in the wilderness. :o

OK I accept today was poor, but we got a fortunate point and that is acceptable against a decent enough team when all we are concerned about at the moment is survival and assessing players in their ability to adapt to playing different formations. Robbie will know by now that no matter what he tries, the squad he has is simply not good enough and major changes have to be made.
It will probably be about this time next season before I even think about making a reasoned and balanced judgement - so no jury needed before then. In the meantime I like the way in which he is going about his business and am quietly confident about our future.
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:30 am

ACDon wrote:The jury is out on Nielson!!

That's not wrong, AC.

However, if you're reacting to the performance yesterday, are you concerned about:

The number of team changes, which was heavily affected by the stupidity of Baldock and Lewie, and the loss of Chuks last week, plus the need to rest players for the political match on Tuesday, which fans want to win more?

The lack of pace, again affected by the need to have the best line up ready for Tuesday?

The lack of quality, from a team largely assembled by Robbo? (Our best player (Barnes) was a Neilson addition.)

The relative youth and inexperience on the pitch, again heavily contributed by Robbo, Baldock, Lewie et al?

The lack of desire (or effort) from a team heading for a low mid-table finish, with several players expecting to leave (those professional players ought to have a very hard look at themselves, and may not deserve to be paid in full)?

The lack of cohesion, from a team with so many forced (or prudent) changes?

Or the tactics, which didn't work for several reasons, until Neilson went three at the back with Potter as anchor, pushing up Upson, who is better more advanced with Potter behind him?

But, you're right, the jury is still out and will remain out until this time next year. As for Muirhead, he crosses and he provides throw-ins. That's about it as far as I can see. Still needs more time for those basic attributes to bed-in. I agree he looks lost, but is that his fault or are the players around him just not reading what he's going to do? I say 'around him', but given the disappointing absence of effort and movement, few could be arsed to give him a passing option.

I reckon yesterday was down to an appalling lack of effort (shame on those players), selection circumstances, noddy defending (including our senior keeper), and tactics that didn't work against a better team, until Neilson fixed it. Hopefully we'll feel more positive if we play well against Kingston. ;)
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:25 am

The one good thing about Robbie Muirhead is that he is young and could develop, although every manager seems to have one ROFL player. For Robbo it was Daniel Powell, who at least could score, although that drained up and it seems he is behind RM in the pecking order. Not aggressive enough I guess [see later on].

I was concerned at Robbie Neilson's signing at time was we about to play long ball and for about 60 minutes a this game confirmed it and for parts of it I was yawning. After the match Robboie said we wan't aggressive enough and I have taken that as being brave in our passing in the past, but more I think about it, it is probably being aggressive in challenging for the ball and I think he will need new players for that. Robboball it certainly isn't, but I do hope it's not the complete opposite.

In regards to the perfect pass LD reported back from the forum, in my opinion it isn't hoofball, lumped up front, but a pass like Darren Potter's chipped ball for the first Shrewsbury goal, although I do like a good 1-2 too. I also hate all the attackers running away from the ball (or just standing still ) and not making them available for the ball. I saw a lot of this yesterday.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:35 am

I don't want to sound too negative, Nielson is the man we've got and the man we should give a fair chance to and our full backing, in all honesty he probably should and will get the rest of this season and the majority of next season to put a side together which is (at very least) challenging for a play-off place. In the very early days of Nielson's reign I think we could all see changes and in some matches (like the AFC home game) improvements but I'm afraid to say we don't seem to be progressing. Some of the players brought in by Nielson have done very little to convince me they are good enough to feature in a promotion chasing league 1 side. I'm also concerned at his recruitment, far from convinced a player who is a regular on the bench at Aberdeen is going to cut it at this level, whilst I'm sure there are talented players north of the border I have my doubts whether they have the required skill levels to play in a competitive 3rd tier English league.

However, I will be renewing my season ticket and will give Robbie Nielson and his players my full backing for the remainder of this season and next season.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:31 am

Good post AC. No chance of L1 promotion with this squad.

We're all struggling with a sense of his direction with both the football and recruitment. After such a heavy emphasis for years on style = just one way of playing, I can see why we can't see any clear method yet. The question is whether any method(s) will emerge at all. As for recruitment, it can be difficult to see how particular players fit in, when no particular system is evident.

One thing we can all agree on with RN, is the need for quality. Barnes, absolutely. Muirhead, possibly within a very narrow bandwidth. O'Keefe - hard working, questionable on the quality though (so far). Maeki, flashy but no sign of end product as yet. But is that down to the rest of the squad being overly coached into one method? Not sure I'll ever know.

I'm taking RN 'aggression' to mean intensity and competitiveness. Which we'd all agree was lacking yesterday.

Does RN's style gravitate to over-the-top hoof ball? If that was the case, why bring in a player like Barnes, or a crosser like Muirhead? I think we can knock that worry on the head. RN has made it clear that he wants an adaptable squad that can play different ways against different opponents. That's the broad direction IMO, but it is tough to achieve successfully and consistently.
MKDF

Postby dons50 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:47 am

I don't think Winky would recruit a hoofball manager.

I didn't want Robbo sacked but I'm very happy to give this guy time. I'd give him at least until the end of next season - even if we got relegated.
dons50

Postby MKDF » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:10 pm

Thought your comment was right D50.

Frank Hovis [TCR] wrote:
Dons50 wrote:Martin has achieved his potential. He is a very good goalkeeper for our level. The coach has done his job with the raw material he has. If he was capable of improving further he would have moved to a higher level.

Wrong, David is capable of more. Heald isn't.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:44 pm

This example makes my point. It was us losing the ball which led to the 2nd ball. An aimless punt to two players who had their backs to the ball and who were marked. Either it should have long right, which would have been ambitious, but do-able or an easier ball to the left. I am not picking on Joe Walsh, Paul Downing made some worse longer balls to no one in particular.

Rochdale 03-17.png
Rochdale 03-17.png (94.73 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Yep - rookie errors too for their first goal. Downing and Walsh had no awareness of the Rochdale players as the ball was crossed. And Martin's flap was school boy stuff. I'm told he called hence Walsh ducked. He also missed the flight of the next cross, and our central pairing were guilty of ball watching for the following cross that went over the bar from 6 inches. :roll:
MKDF

Previous

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat