Seven matches in February

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Re: Seven matches in February

Postby LinsladeDon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:30 pm

MKDF wrote:No offence intended chaps, for taking the SB's target above your's. Purely as it's the lower figure, I thought that should be the one to track initially.

Let's hope that we are able to adopt your higher target later this month. ;)

TBH MKDF, I was just trying to make hay whilst the sun shines and get in before our bubble bursts (Oh me of little faith ;) ) and never even thought anything untoward about your posts - so no offence taken whatsoever. :D
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 am

5/21

9 still on offer. We'd need to win all three of the remaining games in the month to reach SB's target of 14.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:23 am

5/21 with a maximum of 11/21 still possible. Pretty poor and the play off positions are now looking very distant. :(
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 am

ACDon wrote:5/21 with a maximum of 11/21 still possible. Pretty poor and the play off positions are now looking very distant. :(

In all honesty, I'm looking down again not up... :(

That is until we reach safety.
MKDF

Postby SG19Cowshed Das Boot » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Robbie's first 12 league games for us:
P12 W5 D3 L4 F15 A10 Pts18
1.5pts per game = top 10 form
Risen from 19th to 16th in the table.
Very happy with that.

And if Krobbo had been sacked this time last season, with the replacement manager achieving the same results that Robbie did in his first 12 league games, we'd have stayed up...
Change happening - fresh approach underway
Prediction Champion 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017
The Zone League 1 Fantasy Football Champion
84/92
SG19Cowshed Das Boot

Postby ACDon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:24 pm

SG19Cowshed Das Boot wrote:Robbie's first 12 league games for us:
Very happy with that.

And if Krobbo had been sacked this time last season, with the replacement manager achieving the same results that Robbie did in his first 12 league games, we'd have stayed up...

And If we'd have played like we have in our last two games we would have been lucky to get a point all season in the Championship. Early days still but I can't say I've been overly impressed by tactics or (Barnes excepted) our new recruits.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:54 pm

ACDon wrote:And If we'd have played like we have in our last two games we would have been lucky to get a point all season in the Championship. Early days still but I can't say I've been overly impressed by tactics or (Barnes excepted) our new recruits.

Looking at it high-level, I can see why you take that view AC, and I agree in that I'm not as wowed as I was about the new recruits. Having said that, I really think we are neither one thing nor the other at the moment - very transitional in terms of both players and style. In recent games, we have flipped from Robboball to scrappy and back again. We've either no intensity or no quality, and often both. I'm guessing that Neilson is aiming for strong, fast, intense and clinical. We must be at least a season and a half from that even if we do succeed in getting there.

Presently, we are relying a lot on Aneke to break through the middle. I'm not sure he's quite consistent enough yet for us yet to build a team around him.
MKDF

Postby LinsladeDon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:02 pm

SG19Cowshed Das Boot wrote:Robbie's first 12 league games for us:
Very happy with that.

Thanks, very interesting - particularly the comment at the end. Had we sacked Robbo then, and we would have been well justified in so doing, it is most unlikely that Robbie would have been his replacement and that for me, makes the relegation pill much less bitter and easier to take. :)

Robbie joined us with just about a month to assess his squad and ascertain what players he needed to strengthen his squad in the January window. We are a League 1 side, at that time in great danger of being relegated and he didn't have a great deal of money, so we were hardly the most attractive club to convince any player to come and join us. I believe the only money spent was a nominal fee for Muirhead, a youngster hopefully for the future, so all things considered, I reckon Robbie has done well and criticism of his signings are a bit harsh and premature.

Patience and loyalty is needed here but football folk are not renowned for having such traits, just take a look at what has happened regarding managers very recently;
Ranieri, Premiership winner just nine months ago and BBCs award winning "Sports Coach of the Year" for 2016. Got the 'Order of the Boot' yesterday.
Warburton, promotions didn't secure his future at Rangers.
Martin Allen, who saved us the last time we were in free-fall. Just been sacked by non-league Eastleigh a few weeks after leaving a secure position at Barnet to join them.
Lee Clark, saved Kilmarnock from relegation last season and gave up a secure position to join Bury because he wanted to enhance his aspirations of managing at a high level of football in England again. Good to have ambition, but........Bury!!!
Our dear friend Robbo, a mid-week loss at home against Charlton and he seems to be on thin ice already.

That is just five managers that spring to mind - makes me even happier we have Robbie. :D

Oops, just noticed, slip of the tongue, Charlton was of course at home and lost to Oxford. :oops:
Last edited by LinsladeDon on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:38 am

In my view, it is inevitable that we will have ups and downs given the transition we're in. Additionally, we have another young, relatively inexperienced manager in terms of both years in management and exposure to English League One.

If experienced managers rarely pull off immediate turnarounds, then how can we expect Neilson to do so? I think we must give him as much time as we gave Robinson, otherwise we could be accused of having double standards.
MKDF

Postby camdenite » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:47 am

MKDF wrote:In my view, it is inevitable that we will have ups and downs given the transition we're in. Additionally, we have another young, relatively inexperienced manager in terms of both years in management and exposure to English League One.

If experienced managers rarely pull off immediate turnarounds, then how can we expect Neilson to do so? I think we must give him as much time as we gave Robinson, otherwise we could be accused of having double standards.

We've grown massively as a club since the day Robbo took over. It may not appear that way in terms of league stature, but everything behind the scenes is far more professional from the player salaries we pay to the number of staff employed and Robbo was a big part of growing that. I think expectations at board level will be much higher (and quicker) for Robbie. If we're not serious challengers this time next year then I believe Pete will be having a re-think. Robbo had a very different mandate when he took over. It was all about building the club. Now it's about progressing it.
camdenite

PreviousNext

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat