Strong message

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Strong message

Postby MKDF » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:47 am

I had mixed feelings about yesterday. The first 10 minutes were superb, with some slick passing, determined moves and well-taken goals. I was equally disappointed that we then took our foot off the gas. So, I was pleased by the strong message Neilson gave after the match that we must be more ruthless. Absolutely, we would have been punished by a better side.

I'm not sure I can believe that Maynard didn't take one of his three good opportunities to score. That would've been a real plus.

Thoughts?
MKDF

Re: Strong message

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:12 am

I do like Robbie's post match comments. He hits the nail on the head most times.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:52 am

As said in the OP, we were very quick out of the blocks yesterday, some great passing, movement and closing down high up the pitch which was good to see. I knew we couldn't (and probably wouldn't need to) keep that up for the whole game but we did slowly take our foot off the gas and the dangerous thing was we did it at an early stage in the game which let Shrewsbury back into the contest and with better finishing there have been a totally different outcome to the result. Barnes probably deserved the MOTM award, he looked the class act out there yesterday, I thought Potter had one of his worse games in a Dons shirt, can't remember seeing so many misplaced passes from him in a game, we know he is better than that, Maynard looked lively when he came on and I'm confident he will score goals again for us.

All in all pleased to get the much needed three points and Nielson wont need reminding that our next couple of games look so much tougher.
ACDon

Postby SG19Cowshed Das Boot » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:46 am

Agree with all of the above posters :)
Change happening - fresh approach underway
Prediction Champion 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017
The Zone League 1 Fantasy Football Champion
81/92
SG19Cowshed Das Boot

Postby LinsladeDon » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Yep, I am another with mixed feelings. Shrews didn't expect such a strong start from us but slowly fought their way back and after 20 minutes it became pretty much average and even fare. Even after conceding two early goals, a better team than Shrewsbury would have taken something from this game.
Potter's early forward pass to Baldock which led to the first goal was probably the pass-of-the-match, Barnes showed his class but let himself down badly near the end when on the break he failed to release the ball to the unmarked Maynard. I thought Joe Walsh was excellent and was a contender with Barnes for MOTM.
I liked Robbie's brave decision to make his three substitutions at the same time. He was on a hiding-to-nothing in doing so as many around me were saying how stupid and foolhardy it was when 2 goals ahead to make such a drastic decision. I disagreed, we weren't doing much, needed freshening-up and he acted positively. I gave him credit, they didn't - and we will never be able to prove who was right.
I had forecast a 3-1 victory and we should have got that - can anyone please tell me how we didn't score from those half-a-dozen or so attempts at the very end. :o
At the end of the day - we have to beat the teams below us, we did that and should consider it as a job reasonably well done!
LinsladeDon

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:36 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:I liked Robbie's brave decision to make his three substitutions at the same time. He was on a hiding-to-nothing in doing so as many around me were saying how stupid and foolhardy it was when 2 goals ahead to make such a drastic decision. I disagreed, we weren't doing much, needed freshening-up and he acted positively. I gave him credit, they didn't - and we will never be able to prove who was right.

If we had got an injury, especially to David Martin, you might have thought differently. Hard luck on the score though, with a bit of luck we would have got three.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Another positive - that throw-in by Muirhead to an unmarked Maynard in the box was brilliant. Should have been crowned with a goal.
MKDF

Postby SG19Cowshed Das Boot » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Agree with all of the above posters :)
Change happening - fresh approach underway
Prediction Champion 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017
The Zone League 1 Fantasy Football Champion
81/92
SG19Cowshed Das Boot

Postby dons50 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:19 pm

I thought Potter played pretty well. Great pass to Baldock for our first goal.
dons50

Postby MKDF » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:09 pm

dons50 wrote:I thought Potter played pretty well. Great pass to Baldock for our first goal.

I though Potter had a relatively poor match (by his standards) but that pass was indeed a peach.
MKDF

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat