MKDSA Fans Forum - 9.3.17

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

MKDSA Fans Forum - 9.3.17

Postby LinsladeDon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:36 am

For those unable to attend the MKDSA Fans Forum, what follows is in no particular order and more or less as I recall things;

Black Tie event being held and car park choc-a-block with Mercedes Benz cars of all models, so I hazard a guess that it was an MBZ function. A wee bit inconsiderate of MBZ to host an event clashing with the prestigious MKDSA Forum with 90 attending and having to search for a parking spot.

MKDSA Chairman Tom Stewart, Director of Football Andrew Cullen, Manager Robbie Nielson, Players Scott Wootton and Kieran Agard formed the Panel and MC was Luke Ashmead.

Bad news first, Scott Wootton and Chuks Aneke are both 'out' for the season. Their aim now is to be fit for pre-season training. Some good news though(?), it looks like some pre-season preparation is likely to include a trip to Hungary. Don't book your flights just yet, it is not fully confirmed but it seems more than likely to go ahead.

Training ground; talks are progressing well with both MK and Newport Pagnell Town Councils and the First team could be training there in 18 months.

What brought Robbie here? He thought long and hard about it. He had taken Hearts from Championship to second in the Premiership but there was no investment within the club which would enable him to compete with Celtic and the challenge and potential offered my MKD Dons was too good to turn down.

We are continuing the good relationship Robbo had with clubs regarding loans and Robbie has visited many to introduce himself and outline his thinking. We have already appointed a couple more scouts, one in the south and one in the north and more will be appointed in due course.

In one question about playing style it was mentioned that we looked like Barcelona against Posh and Robbie asked if he could have some of whatever it was the speaker was drinking. When he came here Robbie had thoughts of us playing 3-4-3 but says we have to be flexible and change from game to game - if only to confuse the opposition. Even during a game we have to be flexible, the best pass in football is one 'over-the-top' and your player runs on to it and scores. But you can't do that every time because the opposition would expect it.

The biggest difference between football in Scotland and down here? Robbie thinks that there is not too much a difference in football, but much greater is the difference in physicality. Players down here are much taller and stronger and this is something he has to think about in future signings. He commented upon the new signing from Aberdeen - he had known Peter Pawlett before and when he got a tip about him he moved, had Pawlett at MK for a look around, he most most impressed and has signed for us despite interest from other clubs in both Scotland and England. Andrew Cullen said that in all the years he has been in football he has never signed a player before on a pre-contract agreement - an indication of how Robbie is changing things behind the scene.

Robbie has a decent sense of humour. When asked about training he said that he gets presented with a six week plan which takes into account when we play mid-week games and even things like when we travel distances, so if players get over or under-trained don't blame him. ;) One thing Robbie hadn't realized about English football was the distances teams travel to play games. When we played Yeovil in that non-event cup he had ordered the players in for an early start the following morning not knowing they wouldn't be back from Yeovil until 3.30 in the morning. :lol:

Football is all about results, he wants to win, MK people will come and watch a winning team and he wants to see the ground full. Robbie's fixation on results was obvious when he said that the players have to be in the dressing room by 1.30 for a 3pm KO. No family, friends, sponsors, mascots - anybody, are allowed in after 1.30 and the concentration from thereon is solely about the the forthcoming game.

Asked about the forthcoming AFC game and the atmosphere, the hate etc and how it would affect them, Robbie replied simply that he was looking forward to it - and Kieran Agard said much the same thing. :D Whether PW would attend this game or not is still undecided for obvious reasons as stated in an earlier topic on this subject.

As far as 1st team, reserves and academy players go, Robbie says they are all as one. They all mix together, talk together - they are MK Dons. He was a bit scathing about how some big clubs hoover-up and discard youngsters.

We will probably run with a smaller squad next season, Robbie believes in quality over quantity.
He expects to make a number of signings every transfer window and the incoming players will always be better than the outgoing. This way he sees us being more able to make the transition to Championship football when it comes.
Asked about high profile managers, Robbie says he believes in 'just be yourself.' That sums him up quite nicely in fact.
Dele Alli was mentioned. Andrew Cullen said we should remember the market was very different even as little as two years ago from what it is today, that we got a good deal, which included Alli staying with us until the seasons end - something Spurs were reluctant to do, and all the big mega bucks that are being talked about him at the moment are to our "interest" :D
Somebody mentioned about keeping a hold of Aneke, I said I was more concerned about keeping hold of Robbie and asked about how did he think his family would adapt to life down here. He said his wife hasn't visited MK yet but has entrusted him with buying a house and will come down when schools close in the summer. He sees his future here.
An auction was held for the signed gold coloured shirt worn by Kieran Agard in the 50 year commerative game. It went for a hefty £400 and Scott Wootten had said earlier that he and Kieran would pay half each to match the winning bid, which meant an incredible £800 towards the MKDSA's plan to improve disabled toilet facilities within the stadium. It transpires that we have a young disabled fan from Mansfield whose parents bring him to MK for every home game and it is expected that he for one will benefit greatly from this, much to be applauded, improved facility.

Another pleasant and enjoyable Forum, thanks to MKDSA, the Panel and MC, now time I was in bed - early training tomorrow ;) Hope you can make sense of what I think I have remembered. :)
LinsladeDon

Re: MKDSA Fans Forum - 9.3.17

Postby MKDF » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:43 am

Superb summary, thanks LD. :D

Ground breaking view on the nearer training site :o (forgive the pun). Clearly it is still to be landed officially, but the early entry plans are reassuring. Did anything get mentioned on development period (phased per StadMK), or how the Cosgrove land will be off-loaded?
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks for the report LD, much appreciated.

Some interesting answers to questions (like the Dele Alli add ons) that have been asked on several occasions. Definitely more good news than bad news and some lovely generosity touch from Scott Wooton and Kieran Agard. :D
ACDon

Postby Furzdonny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Agreed. A good report,. A+ :D
Furzdonny

Postby LinsladeDon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:56 pm

MKDF wrote:Superb summary, thanks LD. :D

Ground breaking view on the nearer training site :o (forgive the pun). Clearly it is still to be landed officially, but the early entry plans are reassuring. Did anything get mentioned on development period (phased per StadMK), or how the Cosgrove land will be off-loaded?

Thank you chaps for your kind words.

It sounded as though the club purchasing the land at Cosgrove has been a 'wake-up' call to the MK council and all parties are now much more aware of the importance, and doing their utmost, to locate all Dons facilities within Buckinghamshire County boundaries. So although there is still a lot to be done, it is expected to be straightforward and will go ahead, hence the 18 month forecast for first team usage. The development will be phased with priority given to the first team down to the Academy at the tail-end. Nothing was said upon how long it would take to complete the development.

Interesting though, it was mentioned that the club owned ground at Cosgrove would be kept as a possible alternative. Holding on to ground could well be seen as a sound investment, but on the other hand it could be seen as a veiled threat to ensure the council come up with the goods. ;)
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:35 am

LinsladeDon wrote:
MKDF wrote:Superb summary, thanks LD. :D

Thank you chaps for your kind words.

It sounded as though the club purchasing the land at Cosgrove has been a 'wake-up' call to the MK council and all parties are now much more aware of the importance, and doing their utmost, to locate all Dons facilities within Buckinghamshire County boundaries. So although there is still a lot to be done, it is expected to be straightforward and will go ahead, hence the 18 month forecast for first team usage. The development will be phased with priority given to the first team down to the Academy at the tail-end. Nothing was said upon how long it would take to complete the development.

Interesting though, it was mentioned that the club owned ground at Cosgrove would be kept as a possible alternative. Holding on to ground could well be seen as a sound investment, but on the other hand it could be seen as a veiled threat to ensure the council come up with the goods. ;)

Cheers LD. All sounds good to me - though I hope the development will not be as drawn out as the stadium. The club will be keen to see the academy benefit as soon as possible, but hopefully that will be within 12 months of starting.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:05 am

I'm not sure the supporters of Coventry City and Oxford United would agree with the comment, "the non event cup", pretty sure there will be a bumper crowd on April 2nd when the two sides meet at Wembley. IMO the competition was demeaned by the inclusion of Under 21/23 sides this season and the new format, but I think given our current run of form most of us would take a day out at Wembley.
ACDon

Postby SG19Cowshed Das Boot » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Great report LD - far more useful & detailed than any other I've read. Thanks again.
Change happening - fresh approach underway
Prediction Champion 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017
The Zone League 1 Fantasy Football Champion
84/92
SG19Cowshed Das Boot

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:54 pm

ACDon wrote:I'm not sure the supporters of Coventry City and Oxford United would agree with the comment, "the non event cup", pretty sure there will be a bumper crowd on April 2nd when the two sides meet at Wembley. IMO the competition was demeaned by the inclusion of Under 21/23 sides this season and the new format, but I think given our current run of form most of us would take a day out at Wembley.

Any Cup Final day out at Wembley is always a huge attraction but is a long way from an early-round mid-week trip to Yeovil. Agree with the comments about this competition being demeaned and, coincidentally, it is quite obvious that the FA are concerned that the early rounds of the FA Cup are also being demeaned by Premier and Championship clubs in particular. They are now looking towards increasing the prize money to make it more attractive and going for a result in the first game - no replays to help reduce clubs increased workload.
Football is an expensive business for clubs and supporters and many are now prioritizing survival/promotion/European games ahead of Cup games in which you are likely to be knocked out off in a later round anyway.
I hope Coventry and Oxford enjoy their day at Wembley in the Checkatrade Trophy Final and know you are not having a 'dig' at me AC, but the "non event cup" was the best I could come up with in the wee hours of the morning as I wasn't sure what it was called nowadays. :o It was way past my bedtime and I had also missed my afternoon nap :( - so much so that I have now checked and also found a few grammatical errors. But what the heck, at the end of the day I got an A+ (thanks Furz) so am more than delighted. :lol: :lol: :lol:
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:18 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:
ACDon wrote:I'm not sure the supporters of Coventry City and Oxford United would agree with the comment, "the non event cup", pretty sure there will be a bumper crowd on April 2nd when the two sides meet at Wembley. IMO the competition was demeaned by the inclusion of Under 21/23 sides this season and the new format, but I think given our current run of form most of us would take a day out at Wembley.

Any Cup Final day out at Wembley is always a huge attraction but is a long way from an early-round mid-week trip to Yeovil. Agree with the comments about this competition being demeaned and, coincidentally, it is quite obvious that the FA are concerned that the early rounds of the FA Cup are also being demeaned by Premier and Championship clubs in particular. They are now looking towards increasing the prize money to make it more attractive and going for a result in the first game - no replays to help reduce clubs increased workload.
Football is an expensive business for clubs and supporters and many are now prioritizing survival/promotion/European games ahead of Cup games in which you are likely to be knocked out off in a later round anyway.
I hope Coventry and Oxford enjoy their day at Wembley in the Checkatrade Trophy Final and know you are not having a 'dig' at me AC, but the "non event cup" was the best I could come up with in the wee hours of the morning as I wasn't sure what it was called nowadays. :o It was way past my bedtime and I had also missed my afternoon nap :( - so much so that I have now checked and also found a few grammatical errors. But what the heck, at the end of the day I got an A+ (thanks Furz) so am more than delighted. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very true. We all Love you LD.. :D
ACDon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat