Dele legal dispute

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Dele legal dispute

Postby MKDF » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:09 am

For the benefit of the TCR users, who seem to be in a bit of a tiz about this...

I'm sure some of you will have studied contract law to one degree or another. The basic rules are there to protect the minor. The contract is binding on the counterparty (in this case the club) but not the minor, unless he does some action to ratify the contract once he achieves majority. That can be in writing or by an action adopting it, such as continuing to perform it. Now I'm pretty certain that Dele signed a new contract just before or after his 18 birthday. So there is a technical issue as to whether he could be deemed to have ratified the contract if indeed it expired prior to his 18 birthday.

Whatever the situation, I'm pretty comfortable that a court would interpret the law in favour of Dele i.e. For his benefit. Any issue with the FL rules will be between the club and the FL.

So the parents would have little success before the courts in my view - it shouldn't even get that far even if we assume there is substance to this claim. I see the Mirror article was taken down - fake news possibly???
MKDF

Re: Dele legal dispute

Postby dons50 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:43 pm

I've seen the thread on TCR.

I don't give a damn about our contractual situation. I really feel for the young lad with this sort of stuff in the newspapers. I know he's famous, and now pretty wealthy, but I'm sure he has feelings and this is horrible.
Last edited by dons50 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dons50

Postby LinsladeDon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:40 pm

I doubt Dele's parents thought about this. More likely it was "suggested" to them by some "ambulance chaser" type lawyer who could see some easy pickings in this for himself. Parents would get legal aid if it ever got to court so they have nothing to lose. Either that or some newspaper reporter trying to make a story out of nothing.
Whatever, good luck to Dele, he is obviously better off having escaped his family.
LinsladeDon

Postby camdenite » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 am

LinsladeDon wrote:I doubt Dele's parents thought about this. More likely it was "suggested" to them by some "ambulance chaser" type lawyer who could see some easy pickings in this for himself. Parents would get legal aid if it ever got to court so they have nothing to lose. Either that or some newspaper reporter trying to make a story out of nothing.
Whatever, good luck to Dele, he is obviously better off having escaped his family.

But, who are they chasing? That's the crux of this to me.

Why would any parent or guardian be legally entitled to a share of the income (past, present & future) related to those contracts Dele signed with us?

Does that mean the Hickford's profited (or are set to profit) in some way and so is it them they're actually chasing for the money? I very much doubt it. On the face of it they did the club a favour while their own lad was with us, and other than being recompensed for board & lodging, I wouldn't think there was any other consideration paid by the club.

Worse case scenario is that it's Daniel Levy (Spurs) who's tipped them off about this anomaly, and by the parents going this route they may provide him with a legal grounding to claim that our Dele contracts were null & void, and therefore we should pay back the £5M and won't get a stake in any further sale. I don't believe that's the case, but until we know what the benefit to the parents actually is, it's got to be a concern, however far-fetched.

Best case scenario is that it's the Mum selling a non-story to the press for a quick £5K. She's the one who needs the money. The Dad's worth a few quid by all accounts so a joint action seems unlikely despite what's claimed.
camdenite

Postby LinsladeDon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:39 pm

camdenite wrote:
LinsladeDon wrote:I doubt Dele's parents thought about this. More likely it was "suggested" to them by some "ambulance chaser" type lawyer who could see some easy pickings in this for himself. Parents would get legal aid if it ever got to court so they have nothing to lose. Either that or some newspaper reporter trying to make a story out of nothing.

But, who are they chasing? That's the crux of this to me.

Best case scenario is that it's the Mum selling a non-story to the press for a quick £5K

I don't see Spurs being involved in this, a deal in which they are likely to make millions and have relatively, very little to gain.
I have heard a couple of tales in which Dele has been highly praised for his generosity towards his family and close friends and don't believe they would be vindictive towards him in any way. However, his mum appears to be a vulnerable lady and I agree that the best case scenario could be that she succumbed to 'press persuasion' to instigate this dispute.
LinsladeDon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat