Charlton v Mk Dons Predictions

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Re: Charlton v Mk Dons Predictions

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:38 pm

dons50 wrote:
LinsladeDon wrote:
Furzdonny wrote:There's nothing wrong with doggy paddling to safety, even if it's not the most attractive sight.

where brawn is needed as much as skill.

If the football we watch gets to this, I won't be buying my season ticket.

That is a huge over-reaction D50. :o On arrival Robbie's immediate task was to ensure we kept our League 1 status and to do that he did what he had to do which is not necessarily what he wanted to do. We will see a different team playing varying tactics dependent upon the opposition throughout next season.
I accept Robbo was unfortunate in losing brawn in the form of MacFadzean and Wootton but our squad was far too lightweight physically to compete in this League. There is a balance to be struck and I believe Robbie understands this far more than Robbo did/does.
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:36 am

League one is now closing the gap on the Championship IMO in the sense that you need physicality as well as skill. The less physical teams have all been struggling.

The trick is to blend the two characteristics into an effective (and hopefully entertaining) whole.
MKDF

Postby dons50 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:05 am

I'm not criticizing Robbie. I think he plays a good brand of football. I was just responding to the comment that brawn is needed as much as skill. I agree brawn is necessary, but if it becomes as important as skill, football won't be a game that I enjoy watching.
dons50

Postby ACDon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:27 am

dons50 wrote:I'm not criticizing Robbie. I think he plays a good brand of football. I was just responding to the comment that brawn is needed as much as skill. I agree brawn is necessary, but if it becomes as important as skill, football won't be a game that I enjoy watching.

I doubt if that will happen, look at a lot of the top players in the World, Messi, Inniesta, Robben, Sanchez, Lalana, Lahm, no big brawny players there, it's all about getting the right balance, just ask any Arsenal supporter.
ACDon

Postby dons50 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:23 pm

ACDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:I'm not criticizing Robbie. I think he plays a good brand of football. I was just responding to the comment that brawn is needed as much as skill. I agree brawn is necessary, but if it becomes as important as skill, football won't be a game that I enjoy watching.

I doubt if that will happen, look at a lot of the top players in the World, Messi, Inniesta, Robben, Sanchez, Lalana, Lahm, no big brawny players there, it's all about getting the right balance, just ask any Arsenal supporter.

My faith always gets restored when I read your posts, AC. :D
dons50

Postby LinsladeDon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:33 pm

dons50 wrote:
ACDon wrote:

My faith always gets restored when I read your posts, AC. :D

Back to my earlier post. This is what I actually wrote; "Results were not Robbo's priority, possession football was. If we keep possession the other team can't score and results will therefore follow automatically. Fine in theory and with top quality players but not quite so in League 1 where brawn is needed as much as skill." Subsequently, the last eight words have been questioned and blown completely out of proportion.
Messi, Innniesta and co. are indeed all world class players without being brawny but surely you are not trying to say that their are no big brawny team mates playing alongside them for Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc.?
We are in League 1 - fact.
Robbie has said we lack physicality - fact.
He sees this as a weak link in our team and he will sign some players with a strong physical build. - fact.
As well as brawn, these new players will also be as skillful as he can get on a League 1 budget - fact.
The weakest link in any situation always has to be fixed first and as it is seen as a lack of brawn, then surely in this instance brawn is just as important as skill!
LinsladeDon

Postby dons50 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Yes, I did edit your post to leave one line and therefore took it out of context to make my individual point. I apologise. I wasn't intending to use it to have a go at you.
dons50

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14 am

dons50 wrote:Yes, I did edit your post to leave one line and therefore took it out of context to make my individual point. I apologise. I wasn't intending to use it to have a go at you.

Thanks D50 but no need for an apology. I know we are all passionate about the game, see certain things differently and are thankful that we can all express our thoughts on this Forum without it ever becoming personal. :D
LinsladeDon

Postby dons50 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:32 am

LinsladeDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:Yes, I did edit your post to leave one line and therefore took it out of context to make my individual point. I apologise. I wasn't intending to use it to have a go at you.

Thanks D50 but no need for an apology. I know we are all passionate about the game, see certain things differently and are thankful that we can all express our thoughts on this Forum without it ever becoming personal. :D

Yes, agreed. Thanks.
dons50

Postby SG19Cowshed Das Boot » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:23 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:
Furzdonny wrote:There's nothing wrong with doggy paddling to safety, even if it's not the most attractive sight.

Very true, and we have seen many unattractive sights lately!
Is it fair to say that this touches on what is perhaps the biggest difference between Robbie and Robbo?
Robbie knew we were sinking and that getting to dry land and survival was all that mattered no matter how pretty or ugly it may be. He tried some different players, some different formations and different tactics. Results above all else are his priority.
Results were not Robbo's priority, possession football was. If we keep possession the other team can't score and results will therefore follow automatically. Fine in theory and with top quality players but not quite so in League 1 where brawn is needed as much as skill. Opponents knew that we had become a docile team, exactly what to expect and in the end we had become a relatively easy 3 points. He thought that there was no need to change, that we should simply keep the faith and that we would eventually play ourselves out of trouble.
I think it is the biggest difference between the two, had we not changed managers relegation would now be staring us in the face.

This, in its entirety :D
Home league results under Robinson Apr-Oct 2016: P12 W0 D3 L9 F10 A28 GD-18
He had to go...
Prediction Champion 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017
The Zone League 1 Fantasy Football Champion
84/92
SG19Cowshed Das Boot

Previous

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat