Charlton away

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Charlton away

Postby warwickdons » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Myself and Matthew boarded the 16.22 chiltern train to London Marylebone, then across London to Charlton, pre match chips by the away end, we entered what is a great stadium.
Within 40 seconds of the kick off, Downing manages to get himself booked, then on we were in total control, sixth minute goal from O'Keefe, and the Dons are a goal up, following up a Barnes shot. In truth probably could have been two up at half time, Charlton offered absolutely nothing.
We started the second half on a positive note, and no surprise when Harvey Barnes curled a super second goal, after great work from Upson. Agard was very unlucky with a fine take down and volley, only to hit the post.
Overall I thought, even though Charlton were poor, made so by our control and determination, we were outstanding on the night, I'm even quite enthusiastic about next season now.
Train back to Cannon Street, tube to Marylebone, pit stop at burger king, and aboard the 23.07 train to Leamington, all in all I'm glad Matthew persuaded me to go :D
warwickdons

Re: Charlton away

Postby MKDF » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:52 am

Thanks for that summary WD. Neilson likened the performance to Pish away, which indicates how entertaining it was. Glad you and Matthew had fun.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:47 am

Cheers Warwickdons, it was a good result which means we are all but safe and can start planning for another season in league 1. We still have some interesting games to play this season against Swindon (who are hitting form), Scunthorpe United, Southend United, Sheffield United and Walsall. I think if we can bag a reasonable return from these 5 games it means we can go into our pre-season feeling a fair bit more confident, still a lot of work to be done yet but at least things are looking up, :D

And if we can finish above you know who, I will be very happy!!!
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:33 am

Thanks AC, looks like you made the right decision to go. I gave up a quiz night to watch Man U v Everton and then gave up on that after a poor 10 mins, switched on BBC 3CR and enjoyed the rest of the evening. Don't know if Luke Ashmead reads this Forum and saw my criticism of him last week but his broadcast was much, much better - helped no doubt by what sounded like a much better Dons performance.
Don't like saying this, but listening to the boo boys on the radio, the ice Robbo is skating on at the moment is becoming very thin indeed.
LinsladeDon

Postby Eaton Mill Don » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:46 am

LinsladeDon wrote:Don't like saying this, but listening to the boo boys on the radio, the ice Robbo is skating on at the moment is becoming very thin indeed.

Looking at one of the main Charlton forum's this morning, it would appear that what little goodwill there was when he first took the Charlton post has completely evaporated. The criticisms are very similar to those made towards the end of his tenure with us in terms of the ridged sticking to a formation that doesn't suit the players & doesn't take into consideration the opposition tactics with the lack of a plan B. Karl Robinson's 'sound bite' communication style also seems to be rubbing the Charlton faithful up the wrong way & they have become very vocal about it very quickly.

I guess this is rolled up into the bigger issues the Charlton fanbase have with their current ownership structure & with hindsight I'd question whether it was the right time to take that particular job. I would be very surprised if Karl was in situ at the beginning of next season at Charlton Athletic & god forbid if they are relegated as some of their fans think will happen based on their current run of form.
Underhand, deal on the land, franchising free,
The Dons of Milton Keynes, plastic are we.
Making good use of the clubs that we find,
Clubs that the Norbiton fans leave behind
Eaton Mill Don

Postby MKDF » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:56 am

They're most definitely on a slide that could well result in relegation. I find that pretty hard to believe, given the quality of their players. The thing that saves them I reckon will be whether or not those nearer the bottom are able to pick up points.
MKDF

Postby dons50 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Looking at their remaining fixtures, I think they will be ok. Whether that's enough to save Robbo's job, in this mad, mad, world of football, who knows? It would be logical to give a new manager a summer and then a full season before he is judged. Football isn't logical!!
dons50

Postby Furzdonny » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:58 pm

It does look like he has broken a mirror or kicked a cat in the last year or two. The trouble is that if he loses the Charlton job I can't see where he can go. Lower hoofball leagues doesn't suit his style and while he may go aboard, would that suit his family? Would TV work be still available?
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Game show host...
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:53 pm

MKDF wrote:Game show host...

Good game ..... good game; lets see the scores on the scoreboard. Eh ... Eh.
Furzdonny

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat