Scunthorpe reviews.

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Scunthorpe reviews.

Postby LinsladeDon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Post match Robbie said Scunthorpe scored from a set piece and then parked the bus. I disagree, they parked the bus right at the start of the game in 4-4-2 straight lines across the pitch and not once did they deviate from that formation. Their discipline in holding that formation has to be admired and worked well on this occasion but it doesn't bode well for a team seeking promotion.
In comparison we lacked their discipline at the back but even so, only conceded the one goal. We worked hard enough, had the bulk of the possession but really lacked the guile/nous to carve out any worthwhile openings - Reeves showed flashes of doing so and might have managed something had he not spent his brief stint stuck out on the wing.
In the end we had endured a rather uneventful, nondescript, mediocre, typically forgetful end-of-the-season game.
LinsladeDon

Re: Scunthorpe reviews.

Postby Furzdonny » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Agree, although we made some progress in the 2nd half, until the 2nd substitution, when Harvey Barnes stopped playing on the wing where he was the greatest threat.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:36 pm

The highlight of the game for me was the sublime flick from Thomas-Assante (pity he hasn't had more game time this season) that set up O'Keefe for our best chance of the game, bringing a good save from the Scunthorpe keeper. I agree about Scunthorpe's tactics, but it was up to us (and ultimately Nielson) to overcome them and sadly this didn't happen and rarely looked like happening. I thought Rasulo did fairly well but obviously lacked match fitness and struggled a bit before being substituted just after the hour. All in all, not a good day at the office!
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:52 am

Totally agree. The majority of the team had all the characteristics of readiness for a holiday. Rasulo was quite lively but ultimately ineffective without ambition in the rest of the team. No one made any penetrating runs in the first half that I remember. The match wasn't helped by gamesmanship from the other side which, in my view, was the wrong side of the rules on most occasions.

In the end, it all matters little to us. However, against motivated sides, I doubt Scunny will be going up this season.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:51 am

I don't agree with all this, "the players are already on holiday", "it's just a dead rubber" etc, etc. These players should be playing for their new contracts, trying to win a place in Nielson's team/plans for next season. We should be trying to finish the season with a flourish and hit the ground running next season. I've no problem with the youngsters being given game time but I do expect nothing less than 100% effort from our players when they are out there on the field.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:49 pm

ACDon wrote:I don't agree with all this, "the players are already on holiday", "it's just a dead rubber" etc, etc. These players should be playing for their new contracts, trying to win a place in Nielson's team/plans for next season. We should be trying to finish the season with a flourish and hit the ground running next season. I've no problem with the youngsters being given game time but I do expect nothing less than 100% effort from our players when they are out there on the field.

I didn't agree with Brexit, and yet...
MKDF

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:35 pm

MKDF wrote:
ACDon wrote:I don't agree with all this, "the players are already on holiday", "it's just a dead rubber" etc, etc. These players should be playing for their new contracts, trying to win a place in Nielson's team/plans for next season. We should be trying to finish the season with a flourish and hit the ground running next season. I've no problem with the youngsters being given game time but I do expect nothing less than 100% effort from our players when they are out there on the field.

I didn't agree with Brexit, and yet...

Robbie said quite some days ago that he knew the players he wanted to keep, those who could go and that he would be telling them all shortly. Yesterday I heard that he had now done so.
Another indication of a positive thinking/acting manager. :)
I do agree with Brexit... :D
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Lot of similarities between Scunny's goal and Benteke's goal yesterday. I didn't think it was a foul either
MKDF

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat