Thoughts on the match yesterday

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Thoughts on the match yesterday

Postby MKDF » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:20 am

Seemed to be the same disjointed affair for the first half - miss passes everywhere between a bunch of seeming strangers - although Sow is undoubted class.

Then a moment of genius from Aaron Tshibola with a pinpoint ball to the predatory Sow who clearly knows where the goal is, and suddenly the whole team moves into some kind of 'zone of understanding'. Movement, with fast short passing, the crowd gets behind them and we start to really see what this team is capable of.

I was expecting a logical progression route to this team gelling, but perhaps RN was absolutely right about confidence. Get all those neural networks into sync and you've got potency.

Unfortunate for Muirhead that things improved when he was replaced. Not sure what is holding him back at the moment: fitness? inexperience? both? Don't know.

Anyway, Rome not built in a day, but we have signs of some serious capability. :D

Thoughts?
MKDF

Re: Thoughts on the match yesterday

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:12 am

Much the same as you MKDF. I was getting bored with bouts of head tennis when a game of football broke out. I liked PP when we came on, although he likes to come off the wing which leaves us short of wide players and wing backs would be better if we could get a left one.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:09 am

Furzdonny wrote: I was getting bored with bouts of head tennis when a game of football broke out. I liked PP when we came on, although he likes to come off the wing which leaves us short of wide players and wing backs would be better if we could get a left one.

:lol:

I liked PP too, though it was after the space opened up for him so not a true test. Plus he did nothing with the ball - Thomas-Asante can unlock tight defences...PP has a long way to go to prove himself a more useful player.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 am

Over all I thought it was a pretty poor game which was only brightened up by the odd moment of individual skill. Probably the best performances we have seen from Ariybi, Tshibola and Pawlett, which has to be a plus and maybe gives us a certain amount of optimism for the rest of the season. As said in the OP, there is still a massive need for improvement, some of the misplaced passes and misunderstanding out there was awful, but yesterday was more about the result, we really needed to get three points on the board against a Gillingham side widely tipped for relegation. Not sure about either penalty decision, would need to see them both again, but given our poor goal scoring record this season we really need to capitalise on any guilt edged opportunities that come our way, certainly not the worst penalty and a decent save by Holy, but we very nearly payed the price for that miss when Gillingham were awarded a penalty. I was a little bit concerned at our inability to hold on to possession and close the game down in the final 10 minutes or so, Gillingham were given far too much time on the ball and in the end were rather unlucky not to get a point.

Still 3 points were needed and we got them, so hopefully we can move on and build on what was a slight improvement.
ACDon

Postby donmentor » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:17 am

For a L1 game with a number of new players I found this an exciting game. It gave me reason to begin to feel quite optimistic about where we go from here. Definitely a half FULL glass job. :D
donmentor

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat