Blackburn Rovers reviews....

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Blackburn Rovers reviews....

Postby ACDon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:03 am

The Nielson "honeymoon period" with our supporters appears to be well and truly over, the supporters that were calling for Karl Robinson's head in the early stages of last season have now either disappeared or are now calling for the head of Nielson. Only 274 of us made the trip to Blackburn yesterday for what was arguably one of our bigger away games and in all fairness and honesty what we witnessed was a mixture of disorganisation, inept footbal and sadly a lack of commitment by some players. Not sure where we go from here, Nielson has ripped apart a squad that (with a few additions) would have been more than capable of challenging for a play off place, such are the drastic changes he has made that we simply must get behind him and the team and see where we are at the end of this season, but the early signs this season are not good. When Nielson arrived I had hardly heard of him, he obviously had no previous experience of managing a side in England (which is glaringly obvious now), but had made a decent start to his managerial career in Scotland, I was told he is a strict disciplinarian ( which doesn't show), his players are always amongst the fittest in the league (which again doesn't show) and he knows what it takes to bring success to a club (maybe in Scotland but he still has a lot to prove here).

We spoke to a few Blackburn Rovers fans in the pub pre-match and they were moaning at how poor their team was FFS! They said "you'll be alright for 3 points today lads"! Optimism in those parts isn't high, yet they still managed to stuff us 4-1. For the majority of the game yesterday we totally lacked any cohesion, fluency and most worrying several players seemed to lack passion. Ironic, that IMO, our best three players were Williams, Lewington and Upson!!

Any thoughts??
ACDon
 
Posts: 6044
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Blackburn Rover reviews....

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 am

I believe the turnover of players was needed. Potter did play for Rotherham, but Powell was on the bench and Bowditch didn't play for a team who are bottom of the league and got beaten 4-1 by Posh. Reeves I understand is injured again and Dave Martin still hasn't found a club.

It is also a difficult start with Wigan & Blackburn, although it's no excuse. The question is are the new players good enough and have they the desire and hunger to battle for wins? Are they winners? It was always going to be difficult with a young team and did Robbie under estimate league 1? I still wonder if we have got our recruitment right and do we get enough bangs for our bucks? But it's early yet and I expect the manager and the players to come up with the answers and start putting points on the table. They need to stand up and step up.
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Blackburn Rover reviews....

Postby ACDon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:18 am

Furzdonny wrote:I believe the turnover of players was needed. Potter did play for Rotherham, but Powell was on the bench and Bowditch didn't play for a team who are bottom of the league and got beaten 4-1 by Posh. Reeves I understand is injured again and Dave Martin still hasn't found a club.

It is also a difficult start with Wigan & Blackburn, although it's no excuse. The question is are the new players good enough and have they the desire and hunger to battle for wins? Are they winners? It was always going to be difficult with a young team and did Robbie under estimate league 1? I still wonder if we have got our recruitment right and do we get enough bangs for our bucks? But it's early yet and I expect the manager and the players to come up with the answers and start putting points on the table. They need to stand up and step up.


Players do have good and bad runs of form and players do get injured. I was surprised when Bowditch went to Cobblers, from what I have seen in recent years, their style of play wouldn't suit him, Revell is much better suited to hoof ball than Bowditch, in fact Revell would probably do well here now. I would take the skill of Bowditch and Reeves along with Daniel Powell on the wing instead of what I have seen this season every time.
ACDon
 
Posts: 6044
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Blackburn Rovers reviews....

Postby MKDF » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:38 am

ACDon wrote:The Nielson "honeymoon period" with our supporters appears to be well and truly over, the supporters that were calling for Karl Robinson's head in the early stages of last season have now either disappeared or are now calling for the head of Nielson.

Any thoughts??


I disagree with this entirely. I was one of those who spoke of the inevitable of Robinson after the previous pre season, and I'm definitely not calling for Neilson's head. As for not making the trip yesterday, I had other very valid reasons.

I agree with the rest of your comments AC.

What I also agree with is that we are currently watching a group of hired hands on the pitch. They haven't earned our respect yet and they don't deserve it. Our support for the club will outlast RN's tenure (which our hope will be long and prosperous for us all) and the playing careers of our current squad. When the players turn up so do we.

Despite calling numerous times for more physicality in our squad, that doesn't mean that is the only answer.

RN has a challenge on his hands, but he should be expected to win through. He certainly has my support, despite my not enjoying the poor quality on the pitch right now.
MKDF
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Blackburn Rovers reviews....

Postby ACDon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:05 am

MKDF wrote:
Despite calling numerous times for more physicality in our squad, that doesn't mean that is the only answer.


Definitely not, the way those two little midfielders controlled the game for Swansea City last Tuesday is how I like to see the game played (not saying it is the only way), picking up 5 and 6 yard passes from defenders and spraying passes all over the park, reminded me of Iniesta and Xhavi for Barcelona. Of course getting players of that calibre (or even players that are capable of playing that way in league 1) is easier said than done but it does go to prove you can win games and entertain the crowd at the same time.
ACDon
 
Posts: 6044
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Blackburn Rovers reviews....

Postby MKDF » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:47 pm

ACDon wrote:
MKDF wrote:
Despite calling numerous times for more physicality in our squad, that doesn't mean that is the only answer.


Definitely not, the way those two little midfielders controlled the game for Swansea City last Tuesday is how I like to see the game played (not saying it is the only way), picking up 5 and 6 yard passes from defenders and spraying passes all over the park, reminded me of Iniesta and Xhavi for Barcelona. Of course getting players of that calibre (or even players that are capable of playing that way in league 1) is easier said than done but it does go to prove you can win games and entertain the crowd at the same time.


Yep that's how I see it too. We weren't good enough to break teams down in the championship with skill alone - we needed more physicality - but that isn't at the expense of skill, switching one-dimensional play for another kind of one-dimensional play. I think we have some great skill in the squad, but we do need that extra number 10 especially. And a lack of movement has often been our Achilles heel.
MKDF
 
Posts: 1965
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Blackburn Rovers reviews....

Postby SG19Cowshed Das Boot » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:51 am

Furzdonny wrote:I believe the turnover of players was needed. Potter did play for Rotherham, but Powell was on the bench and Bowditch didn't play for a team who are bottom of the league and got beaten 4-1 by Posh. Reeves I understand is injured again and Dave Martin still hasn't found a club.

This.

MKDF wrote:
ACDon wrote:The Nielson "honeymoon period" with our supporters appears to be well and truly over, the supporters that were calling for Karl Robinson's head in the early stages of last season have now either disappeared or are now calling for the head of Nielson.

Any thoughts??


I disagree with this entirely.

I was one of those who spoke of the inevitable of Robinson after the previous pre season, and I'm definitely not calling for Neilson's head.
RN has a challenge on his hands, but he should be expected to win through.
He certainly has my support, despite my not enjoying the poor quality on the pitch right now.

What I agree with is that we are currently watching a group of hired hands on the pitch.
They haven't earned our respect yet and they don't deserve it.
Our support for the club will outlast RN's tenure (which I hope will be long and prosperous for us all) and the playing careers of our current squad.
When the players turn up so do we.

Despite calling numerous times for more physicality in our squad, that doesn't mean that is the only answer.
We weren't good enough to break teams down in the championship with skill alone - we needed more physicality - but that isn't at the expense of skill, switching one-dimensional play for another kind of one-dimensional play.
I think we have some great skill in the squad, but we do need that extra number 10 especially.
And a lack of movement has often been our Achilles heel.

And this.
Change happening - fresh approach underway
Prediction Champion 2011, 2015, 2016, 2017
The Zone League 1 Fantasy Football Champion
84/92
User avatar
SG19Cowshed Das Boot
 
Posts: 1724
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Somewhere in SG19


Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ACDon, cartog, cromwell, eckythump, Kempstondons6, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 61 guests