Critical 24 hours ahead

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Critical 24 hours ahead

Postby MKDF » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Thoughts on whether failure to sign some good players consigns us to another year in L1 or whether we have enough to get lucky?
MKDF

Re: Critical 24 hours ahead

Postby dons50 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:43 pm

I've never seriously seen this season as a promotion year.

We got rid of a lot of key players at the end of last season. I understand why Robbie did that as he wanted the team to be made up mostly of his men. It's going to take time, certainly more than this window, to get the right players and for them to bed in.

I see this as a transition year. I don't see the next 24 hours as critical.
dons50

Postby ACDon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Whilst early signs this season are not good, it's not impossible things can be turned around (even without any new additions) but based on what I've seen so far, I would say we need to bring in 3 or 4 new players of league 1 (or above) quality........and I doubt very much that is going to happen.
ACDon

Postby dons50 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:52 pm

ACDon wrote:Whilst early signs this season are not good, it's not impossible things can be turned around (even without any new additions) but based on what I've seen so far, I would say we need to bring in 3 or 4 new players of league 1 (or above) quality........and I doubt very much that is going to happen.

It won't. It's not reasonable to expect it to.
dons50

Postby MKDF » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:08 am

I'm in a similar ball park to you two.

Chucks is a player who could make a massive difference, but when he did play last season it wasn't always game changing. So some realism is needed there.

I'd like to see more firepower - for a realistic push for the playoffs - but actually getting the players we have to play well together and establish some form is a higher priority. If I remember correctly, the early mad dog era was fraught with stuttering performances, and we had Andrews and Dyer in the ranks. So there maybe some hope yet. However, on balance, I believe the next 24 hours are huge if not critical to our chances.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:37 am

If we get 2 or 3 good ones we could make the plays offs, if we don't it will be a long shot. It will be good to have Sow & Aneke fit as that will be like having 2 signings (although Sow technically is).
Furzdonny

Postby camdenite » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 am

I'm not expecting too much today. I think the free agent market will be key. There's plenty out there. Always is. They also might be the sort of seasoned pro's we need around the place right now.
camdenite

Postby ACDon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:32 pm

I see Carl Baker is now a free agent, I certainly wouldn't moan if we were to take him back on an initial short term contract.
ACDon

Postby Furzdonny » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 pm

So two in (bar any late developments). Scott Golbourne, an experienced left / wing back and a hot prospect in Aidan Nesbitt. Boosts the the squad and a satisfactory day's work all considered. Robbie & the coaching staff now have to get them all to gel.

A late 3rd - Alex Gilbey, a midfielder.
Last edited by Furzdonny on Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:41 am

Looks like none of the three were our top targets. Not overwhelmed really. Time will tell how well they fit in. At least there is some good experience in there, they give us options, plus Gilbey as scored some lovely goals from distance.
MKDF

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat