Oxford reviews

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Oxford reviews

Postby MKDF » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Congratulations to Callum for his first league goal, nicely taken.

Delighted with the balance the new additions brought. The mix of energy, pace and skill with the physical side was better. Golbourne and Gilby were excellent.

Hoping that was enough to progress in the team side.

Some great crowd energy too. Been couple of years since we've had that.
MKDF

Re: Oxford reviews

Postby ACDon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:25 pm

MKDF wrote:Congratulations to Callum for his first league goal, nicely taken.

Delighted with the balance the new additions brought. The mix of energy, pace and skill with the physical side was better. Golbourne and Gilby were excellent.

Hoping that was enough to progress in the team side.

Some great crowd energy too. Been couple of years since we've had that.

Yeah, fairly impressed with all the new men, we were awful in the first half but improved out of all recognition in the second half which has to be a positive. :D
ACDon

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:23 am

Well done to Robbie for making the brave decision to put Callum on rather than Cisse or Lewie and deciding to man mark Payne.

It confirms to me that George lacks a bit of pace at right back and we should try wing backs, with Lewie/ Walsh, Wootton / Cissie, George at the back, as an option. Just a slight moan, why doesn't Robbie Muirhead go on the back post when in the box and terrorise their wee full back rather than stay in the pocket of their centre half?
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 am

Furzdonny wrote:Well done to Robbie for making the brave decision to put Callum on rather than Cisse or Lewie and deciding to man mark Payne.

It confirms to me that George lacks a bit of pace at right back and we should try wing backs, with Lewie/ Walsh, Wootton / Cissie, George at the back, as an option. Just a slight moan, why doesn't Robbie Muirhead go on the back post when in the box and terrorise their wee full back rather than stay in the pocket of their centre half?

I don't what's happened but Williams' distribution this season so far has been disappointing. Whether that is a RN instruction to always pump it up the channels or Williams' choices I've no idea. I'd hope they'd learn and change it.
MKDF

Postby dons50 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:51 am

I really don't think Williams is a good full back.
dons50

Postby warwickdons » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:07 am

Heard it was a game of two halves yesterday, glad we got something out of the game in the end, really needed some kind of positive, still think unless we get someone to score some goals on a regular basis, a season of struggle is on the cards tbh!!
warwickdons

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:21 am

warwickdons wrote:Heard it was a game of two halves yesterday, glad we got something out of the game in the end, really needed some kind of positive, still think unless we get someone to score some goals on a regular basis, a season of struggle is on the cards tbh!!

Yep I can't see Seager or Muirhead getting a hat full. Hopefully Sow, Chuks & Kieran Agard can get plenty.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:15 am

warwickdons wrote:Heard it was a game of two halves yesterday, glad we got something out of the game in the end, really needed some kind of positive, still think unless we get someone to score some goals on a regular basis, a season of struggle is on the cards tbh!!

Yesterday's second half performance was definitely a positive, obviously we still have a long way to go. At this moment I don't think RN has got a clue what his best side is, but we do have plenty of options and when Aneke is back fit we will be a lot stronger in the middle. I would say we have too much quality to struggle (as in relegation struggle), it's more a case of whether we have enough strength in depth to challenge for promotion/play-off place or not.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:06 pm

ACDon wrote:At this moment I don't think RN has got a clue what his best side is, but we do have plenty of options and when Aneke is back fit we will be a lot stronger in the middle. I would say we have too much quality to struggle (as in relegation struggle), it's more a case of whether we have enough strength in depth to challenge for promotion/play-off place or not.

I suspect that RN has been taken by surprise, expecting more from some of the players who have been brought in.

Some have undoubted quality, but don't seem to be delivering to an expected level (yet). Playing all the big guys together seems to be an error. Playing EEL and Williams together is also a weakness it seems, as distribution is too errant.

The left side as an attacking outlet seems sorted now with Golbourne whether as a three or four at the back. Would be great to keep him for longer. Misfiring on the right though.

If Gilbey can stay fit, he links through the middle brilliantly. Happier with that area than I was.

Strikers are an issue. Whatever is Seager's strength, we aren't using it. He doesn't seem to have a decent shot, isn't the biggest, strongest or quickest. So intrigued by what he will bring to us once we find it. He needs someone's shoulder to play off, or close 1-2s into the box.

I don't have any issue with RN playing around with combinations, though he still has big guns to return. I imagine having to fit players to potential plans A, B, C and D is a whole lot more complex than having just one blueprint like Robinson.
MKDF

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat