Counter-attacking tactics

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby ACDon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 am

I would say Southampton and Brighton (in recent years) are examples of teams that played good possession football and were successful in the lower leagues, though obviously resources had a bearing on the strength of their sides.
ACDon
 
Posts: 6077
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby dons50 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 am

ACDon wrote:I would say Southampton and Brighton (in recent years) are examples of teams that played good possession football and were successful in the lower leagues, though obviously resources had a bearing on the strength of their sides.


We got promotion playing possession football.
dons50
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby ACDon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:43 pm

dons50 wrote:
ACDon wrote:I would say Southampton and Brighton (in recent years) are examples of teams that played good possession football and were successful in the lower leagues, though obviously resources had a bearing on the strength of their sides.


We got promotion playing possession football.


Forgot about us. :lol:
ACDon
 
Posts: 6077
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby dons50 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:39 pm

ACDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:
ACDon wrote:I would say Southampton and Brighton (in recent years) are examples of teams that played good possession football and were successful in the lower leagues, though obviously resources had a bearing on the strength of their sides.


We got promotion playing possession football.


Forgot about us. :lol:


:lol:
dons50
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby MKDF » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Nice try D50. :lol: None of those you mentioned can be described as patient possession footballing teams. All of those (us included) got promoted on the back of ‘up n at em’ football. Blew teams away.
MKDF
 
Posts: 2003
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby Furzdonny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 pm

MKDF wrote:
ACDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:Counter attacking can work but you need a strong defence, disciplined midfielders and pacy attackers.

I prefer a more controlled, possession based, approach.

I suppose it depends on the players you have available.



Probably the most significant comment so far....


Almost no-one wins leagues playing counter-attacking football, and successful Championship teams haven't really played patient possession football either. More about dominance and slick passing in the opponents half as much as possible I'd say.


Leicester? And remember Robbie's link to them too.
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby MKDF » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:27 am

Furzdonny wrote:
MKDF wrote:
Almost no-one wins leagues playing counter-attacking football, and successful Championship teams haven't really played patient possession football either. More about dominance and slick passing in the opponents half as much as possible I'd say.


Leicester? And remember Robbie's link to them too.
MKDF
 
Posts: 2003
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:46 am

MKDF wrote:
Furzdonny wrote:
MKDF wrote:
Almost no-one wins leagues playing counter-attacking football, and successful Championship teams haven't really played patient possession football either. More about dominance and slick passing in the opponents half as much as possible I'd say.


True, although most teams have counter attacking as an option & Atletico Madrid almost won the Champions League doing it.
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby MKDF » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:51 am

As did Chelsea. But the knock out Champions League isn’t the same as a full league.

Not saying there isn’t a place for it. Just not as a main tactic and certainly not at home against teams good enough to break down your defence. They get ahead and you’re in trouble.

Just stating the obvious I know.
MKDF
 
Posts: 2003
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:18 am

You might find the link below interesting.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/po ... k-who-wins
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 5 guests