Counter-attacking tactics

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Counter-attacking tactics

Postby MKDF » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 am

While Neilson has mixed it up, we do lean towards counter-attacking tactics, even at home against good opposition.

While it makes sense away, is this the right approach at home do you think? I would be interested in views about winning, entertainment and attracting crowds.
MKDF

Re: Counter-attacking tactics

Postby ACDon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 am

For me the entertainment so far this season has been poor, but as the old saying goes, "nothing succeeds like success" and if we go on a winning run the crowds will improve and as the players become more confident the entertainment value will hopefully improve.

I don't think the majority of casual supporters are that bothered about entertainment, it's success that they want to be associated with and ultimately pulls them through the turnstiles.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am

I don't have any stats to my finger tips but, based on impressions only, it seems to me when we set out to defend, we will be OK against ropey opposition but not against decent opposition.

When we set out aggressively to score, we seem to do a bit better and it gets the crowd behind the team.

Simplistic I know. But it seems to me we should start with more ambition more often.

Just wondering whether I'm on my own?
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:51 pm

I agree he has been a bit cautious but that may be because it is a new team and he hasn't had players like Sow very long. I will give him to Xmas before I agree what his style is, although it could be argued that counter attacking is the best form of defence & attack combined.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 pm

MKDF wrote:I don't have any stats to my finger tips but, based on impressions only, it seems to me when we set out to defend, we will be OK against ropey opposition but not against decent opposition.

When we set out aggressively to score, we seem to do a bit better and it gets the crowd behind the team.

Simplistic I know. But it seems to me we should start with more ambition more often.

Just wondering whether I'm on my own?

Maybe, but could you imagine the reaction from many of our lot if we went out in a more attacking way against a decent side and found ourselves 3-0 down after 10 minutes? Probably a negative (no pun intended) way of looking at it, but I get the impression RN has his doubts about the quality of our/his players and would rather play on the side of caution.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:48 am

Pretty good chance we’ll be more offensive with Chuks in the side anyway.

Just don’t think we’re going to win enough games playing negatively most matches.
MKDF

Postby dons50 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:30 am

Counter attacking can work but you need a strong defence, disciplined midfielders and pacy attackers.

I prefer a more controlled, possession based, approach.

I suppose it depends on the players you have available.
dons50

Postby ACDon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:37 am

dons50 wrote:Counter attacking can work but you need a strong defence, disciplined midfielders and pacy attackers.

Probably the most significant comment so far....
ACDon

Postby Furzdonny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:40 am

ACDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:Counter attacking can work but you need a strong defence, disciplined midfielders and pacy attackers.

It can also depend on how superior you are against the opposition.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 am

ACDon wrote:

Almost no-one wins leagues playing counter-attacking football, and successful Championship teams haven't really played patient possession football either. More about dominance and slick passing in the opponents half as much as possible I'd say.
MKDF

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat