How much cash should RN be given in January

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

How much cash should RN be given in January

Postby MKDF » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:47 am

Now that is a conundrum...

What would you decide?
MKDF

Re: How much cash should RN be given in January

Postby Eaton Mill Don » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:20 am

Working on the premise that Pete Winkelman has no intention to removing the Manager from his position anytime soon (i.e. before the end of the season), you provide him all the available budget/resource in January. To do any less just doesn’t make sense. The quandary comes if you are looking at providing additional budget. One assumes that would have to come from next year’s budget (never a great option in my opinion). I would be reluctant to do that.
Underhand, deal on the land, franchising free,
The Dons of Milton Keynes, plastic are we.
Making good use of the clubs that we find,
Clubs that the Norbiton fans leave behind
Eaton Mill Don

Postby Furzdonny » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:43 am

Enough for a left back, a zippy winger and possibly a goalkeeper. I'm still not sure about Nicholls and especially why he couldn't catch the ball against Rotherham, while the deputy made a bad howler against Chelsea U23s. For any extra players, others will have to leave.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:55 am

If I was in Winkie's shoes I doubt I would throw too much more money at Neilson, virtually all the players he has recruited up to now have been disappointing, yet we have been told we are working on a top 6 budget!
Having said that, Winkie will not want to see us get relegated..

The January window is notoriously the worst time to buy players and prices are normally inflated, but who knows, there may be a free agent or a bargain out there somewhere. I'm pretty sure I heard recently that David Cotterill has been released by Birmingham City, a player with his experience would be useful. :idea:
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:46 pm

We all know money is the be-all end-all in football, even Mourinho is complaining he hasn't got enough to spend, but relatively speaking, Neilson had a good Division 1 budget given to him at the start of the season and he must have most of it left. The only player that we know who cost a transfer fee was Gilbey. Some, such as Pawlet, Nesbit and Muirhead may have cost nominal fees but Cisse, Sow, McGrandles etc. were free transfers and the rest were loans.

Money shouldn't be too much of an issue, the biggest problem as most of us seem to see it is who/what Neilson brings in. He has concentrated on building a young team for the future but now must focus on the present and sign a couple of experienced players/leaders to give us the guidance and guile on-field that we lack and desperately need.
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:26 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:We all know money is the be-all end-all in football, even Mourinho is complaining he hasn't got enough to spend, but relatively speaking, Neilson had a good Division 1 budget given to him at the start of the season and he must have most of it left. The only player that we know who cost a transfer fee was Gilbey. Some, such as Pawlet, Nesbit and Muirhead may have cost nominal fees but Cisse, Sow, McGrandles etc. were free transfers and the rest were loans.

Money shouldn't be too much of an issue, the biggest problem as most of us seem to see it is who/what Neilson brings in. He has concentrated on building a young team for the future but now must focus on the present and sign a couple of experienced players/leaders to give us the guidance and guile on-field that we lack and desperately need.

Loan players are also part of the budget and I doubt if a couple of the players (one of which has now left) we got came cheaply.
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:28 pm

ACDon wrote:
LinsladeDon wrote:We all know money is the be-all end-all in football, even Mourinho is complaining he hasn't got enough to spend, but relatively speaking, Neilson had a good Division 1 budget given to him at the start of the season and he must have most of it left. The only player that we know who cost a transfer fee was Gilbey. Some, such as Pawlet, Nesbit and Muirhead may have cost nominal fees but Cisse, Sow, McGrandles etc. were free transfers and the rest were loans.

Loan players are also part of the budget and I doubt if a couple of the players (one of which has now left) we got came cheaply.

Agreed loan players are part of the budget as far as wages are concerned but I can't imagine them to be more than the average wage a signed player would receive. It is not as though we were getting some star quality established players, we are actually doing the parent club a favour by giving their protégés game time, as with Ariyibi and Seager, or the surplus to requirements/unwanted Ebanks-Landell, Golbourne and Tshibola.
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 am

LinsladeDon wrote:
ACDon wrote:

Agreed loan players are part of the budget as far as wages are concerned but I can't imagine them to be more than the average wage a signed player would receive. It is not as though we were getting some star quality established players, we are actually doing the parent club a favour by giving their protégés game time, as with Ariyibi and Seager, or the surplus to requirements/unwanted Ebanks-Landell, Golbourne and Tshibola.

Whilst I agree about us doing parent clubs a favour by giving their players game time, I very much doubt Southampton will be too happy about the amount of game time Seager is getting and the fact that when he does play he is having the ball hoofed 50 yards up field towards his head and more often than not is being marked by a 6ft4" centre half, hardly the sort of service he wants. The first time I saw Seager play in a live game was the pre season friendly at home to Brentford, he scored two goals, neither spectacular but the kind of goals you get from a good centre forward/poacher supreme. I remember thinking, if we keep him for a season he will score 15-20 goals for us. The lad has undoubted talent, makes some really inteligent runs and needs the ball fed to him through the channels on the floor, it isn't rocket science! Remember his winning goal in the Rochdale home game? Give him the right service and he will score goals, IMO he looks the most natural finisher we've had since Grigg and Afobe, yet because of the service he gets games just pass him by. Such a waste!
ACDon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat