A little bit of time......

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

A little bit of time......

Postby LinsladeDon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:30 pm

An extract from a recent interview Robbie had with a Scottish newspaper;

Neilson has no doubt he made the right decision leaving Edinburgh for Milton Keynes despite a difficult campaign. MK Dons sit 19th in League One, the same position as when he took charge. They remain in transition and searching for consistency, although Saturday’s 1-0 FA Cup win at Championship side Queens Park Rangers was a much-needed filip.

“This is a very unpredictable league. We’ve struggled for consistency this season,” he admitted. “We’ve had some top performances and also some bad runs. From a management and coaching perspective, it’s been great development for me, though. I brought my own staff down and joined a club that needed turned around, totally restructured. We still have a lot of work to do here with the squad so it’s still developing.

“We always want to be successful and we certainly hoped to be doing better than we are at this point in the season. If we can get a couple of players in this month and a couple out, then do the same in the summer, it will help. That’s the hardest thing when you come in as a manager – moving people out and getting the right ones in. It will take a little bit of time and the key is getting that time.”


Those last two sentences say it all really. Neilson is crying out for the time some supporters don't want to give him. Thankfully PW seems prepared to stand-by his man.
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Re: A little bit of time......

Postby Furzdonny » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:46 pm

I never thought of Pete as Tammy Wynette before. :D It good to see Robbie understanding the difficulties, although it remains to be seen if he has the solutions.
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: A little bit of time......

Postby MKDF » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:46 pm

A clear pitch for two windows. If you’re Pete, I guess that’s the quid pro quo for choosing an inexperienced manager.

RN clearly had a lot to learn about this league but seems to be on it.
MKDF
 
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: A little bit of time......

Postby LinsladeDon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Furzdonny wrote:I never thought of Pete as Tammy Wynette before. :D It good to see Robbie understanding the difficulties, although it remains to be seen if he has the solutions.


Thanks Furz, I couldn't remember whether it was Tammy Wynette or Dolly Parton who stood by her man. :lol:
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Re: A little bit of time......

Postby Furzdonny » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:00 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:
Furzdonny wrote:I never thought of Pete as Tammy Wynette before. :D It good to see Robbie understanding the difficulties, although it remains to be seen if he has the solutions.


Thanks Furz, I couldn't remember whether it was Tammy Wynette or Dolly Parton who stood by her man. :lol:


Dolly is definitely a 9 to 5 woman.
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: A little bit of time......

Postby dons50 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 pm

I’m not sure what people expect. A new manager needs at least two summer windows, and pre seasons, if he’s to have a proper chance to do his job. It's not reasonable to expect otherwise.

I didn’t want Robbo sacked, but the new man must have enough time to make the changes he wants to make.
dons50
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am

Re: A little bit of time......

Postby MKDF » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:07 pm

dons50 wrote:I’m not sure what people expect. A new manager needs at least two summer windows, and pre seasons, if he’s to have a proper chance to do his job. It's not reasonable to expect otherwise.

I didn’t want Robbo sacked, but the new man must have enough time to make the changes he wants to make.


Isn't that a pretty subjective view too D50? Doesn't it flex on lots of variables? If a manager is a fast learner but essentially unsuitable for whatever reason, plus he's had a good shot at pulling in talented players, doesn't that warrant a shorter period? But a slower learner with access to lower talent but fundamentally he's got the potential needs longer?

In RN's case, I think the the next few months will be telling. But that is very subjective. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that long bend were taking is going to bring us out onto a nice long straight we can motor along for a long time to come.
MKDF
 
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: A little bit of time......

Postby Furzdonny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:39 am

MKDF wrote:
dons50 wrote:I’m not sure what people expect. A new manager needs at least two summer windows, and pre seasons, if he’s to have a proper chance to do his job. It's not reasonable to expect otherwise.

I didn’t want Robbo sacked, but the new man must have enough time to make the changes he wants to make.


Isn't that a pretty subjective view too D50? Doesn't it flex on lots of variables? If a manager is a fast learner but essentially unsuitable for whatever reason, plus he's had a good shot at pulling in talented players, doesn't that warrant a shorter period? But a slower learner with access to lower talent but fundamentally he's got the potential needs longer?

In RN's case, I think the the next few months will be telling. But that is very subjective. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that long bend were taking is going to bring us out onto a nice long straight we can motor along for a long time to come.


We're in MK there are bound to be a lot of roundabouts.
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: A little bit of time......

Postby MKDF » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:34 pm

If it turns out to be a roundabout, that would be depressing...

Latest from RN:

"We're speaking to Callum Brittain who we feel has a big future here," Neilson confirmed. "The other ones - to be honest, we have to see where we end up and see how the season progresses.

"It's a bit too early, with the position we're in, to be offering deals at the moment. We'll look at that in the coming months."

Seems surprisingly non-committal about Upson. For me, he doesn't rank alongside Potter, a big reason being consistency. But, for the 2 out of 5 games he is switched on, we usually perform at out best as a team. So I view Upson's role as pivotal (maybe not Upson himself unless he develops more consistency). We'd better have a very good replacement in the pipeline, cos RN's doubts could go either way vis-a-vis Upson's consistency.
MKDF
 
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: A little bit of time......

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Furzdonny wrote:
MKDF wrote:
dons50 wrote:I’m not sure what people expect. A new manager needs at least two summer windows, and pre seasons, if he’s to have a proper chance to do his job. It's not reasonable to expect otherwise.

I didn’t want Robbo sacked, but the new man must have enough time to make the changes he wants to make.


Isn't that a pretty subjective view too D50? Doesn't it flex on lots of variables? If a manager is a fast learner but essentially unsuitable for whatever reason, plus he's had a good shot at pulling in talented players, doesn't that warrant a shorter period? But a slower learner with access to lower talent but fundamentally he's got the potential needs longer?

In RN's case, I think the the next few months will be telling. But that is very subjective. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that long bend were taking is going to bring us out onto a nice long straight we can motor along for a long time to come.


We're in MK there are bound to be a lot of roundabouts.


But roundabouts help get you 'there' quicker, much better than being stuck at a cross-roads with a 'stop' sign facing you.
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 36 guests

cron