When the going gets tough...

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

When the going gets tough...

Postby ACDon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 pm

The tough get going!

It's no point in denying, things aren't good at the moment, but some of the rubbish I have been reading makes me cringe. I have seen posts on social media and forums from supporters calling for Winkie to sell the club, with ridiculous comments like, "he doesn't care about the club" and "he's taken us as far as he can". What a load of nonsense! I wonder if any of these people were there to witness our 2-0 win at AFC Kingston earlier this season, the look on Winkie's face said it all, he loves everything about MK Dons and no one was more happy than him when we won that evening. What he has done for the people of Milton Keynes in the past 14 years or so should never be understated, the football team, the incredible stadium along with all the superb memories, the JPT cup final win at Wembley, the league 2 Championship, promotion to the championship, we have achieved more in 14 years than some clubs have in 120 years. Of course he has made some mistakes along the way and possibly the biggest one was sacking Karl Robinson and replacing him with Robbie Neilson, but one thing is for certain, everything he does is done with the club's best interest at heart.

I wasn't happy with KR's sacking, but was willing to give RN a chance. Sadly things aren't working out as we would have liked, but whatever happens tomorrow, next week or the week after, I doubt if Winkie will get rid of Neilson, so the best thing we can do is go to the games and get behind the team. We are going through a bad patch, all clubs have them and we are no different. Now is the time for our supporters to stick together and try to get our team out of it.

COYD.
ACDon

Re: When the going gets tough...

Postby LinsladeDon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Brilliant start and a great ending AC., but it wont surprise you if I disagree about PWs possibly biggest mistake. By PWs own admission his biggest mistake was not giving a new training ground a much higher priority. Sacking Robbo wasn't a mistake, it was a necessity!
Good read though. ;)
LinsladeDon

Postby dons50 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 am

ACDon wrote:The tough get going!

It's no point in denying, things aren't good at the moment, but some of the rubbish I have been reading makes me cringe. I have seen posts on social media and forums from supporters calling for Winkie to sell the club, with ridiculous comments like, "he doesn't care about the club" and "he's taken us as far as he can". What a load of nonsense! I wonder if any of these people were there to witness our 2-0 win at AFC Kingston earlier this season, the look on Winkie's face said it all, he loves everything about MK Dons and no one was more happy than him when we won that evening. What he has done for the people of Milton Keynes in the past 14 years or so should never be understated, the football team, the incredible stadium along with all the superb memories, the JPT cup final win at Wembley, the league 2 Championship, promotion to the championship, we have achieved more in 14 years than some clubs have in 120 years. Of course he has made some mistakes along the way and possibly the biggest one was sacking Karl Robinson and replacing him with Robbie Neilson, but one thing is for certain, everything he does is done with the club's best interest at heart.

I wasn't happy with KR's sacking, but was willing to give RN a chance. Sadly things aren't working out as we would have liked, but whatever happens tomorrow, next week or the week after, I doubt if Winkie will get rid of Neilson, so the best thing we can do is go to the games and get behind the team. We are going through a bad patch, all clubs have them and we are no different. Now is the time for our supporters to stick together and try to get our team out of it.

COYD.

Pretty much agree with all of this.
dons50

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am

I know this is going over old ground but Pete didn't have much choice. Players were squaring up (Martin & Downing) while the crowd had turned against Robinson big time. I admit at the end of the Southend game I had a tear in my eye. The mistakes were many earlier in that the squad wasn't good enough for the Championship, the best players left while the ones we got in were not satisfactory. Football tactics had also changed with a lot more pressing and faster play, but I never believe Robinson came to grips with it after we lost our star players (Dele, Grigg, Afobe, etc).

Neilson has done the right thing in revamping the team / squad, but again the loans haven't worked out and the signings still need to prove that they are leading league 1 / Championship players. If the two new loanees and any other players we get don't freshen up the team I can't see how Neilson hasn't ended up a busted flush. I still want him to stay and believe we have the makings of a good team, but if results don't start improving I don't know for how long.

So in conclusion as well as tough we need to be fast and smart.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:34 am

Furzdonny wrote:I know this is going over old ground but Pete didn't have much choice. Players were squaring up (Martin & Downing) while the crowd had turned against Robinson big time. I admit at the end of the Southend game I had a tear in my eye. The mistakes were many earlier in that the squad wasn't good enough for the Championship, the best players left while the ones we got in were not satisfactory. Football tactics had also changed with a lot more pressing and faster play, but I never believe Robinson came to grips with it after we lost our star players (Dele, Grigg, Afobe, etc).

Neilson has done the right thing in revamping the team / squad, but again the loans haven't worked out and the signings still need to prove that they are leading league 1 / Championship players. If the two new loanees and any other players we get don't freshen up the team I can't see how Neilson hasn't ended up a busted flush. I still want him to stay and believe we have the makings of a good team, but if results don't start improving I don't know for how long.

So in conclusion as well as tough we need to be fast and smart.

During the KR reign, it was unusual to hear of (or see) players falling out either with each other or the Manager, but since Neilson's appointment it seems to be a common occurrence, so I certainly wouldn't say the falling out of two players is relevant to KR's sacking, it happens all the time, even at the top level, these players are competitive athletes high on adrenaline, they often fall out both on the pitch and on the training ground, pretty sure in most cases they shake hands and make up after though. Ok, we fell short after our promotion to the Championship but Robbo has moved on to Charlton and is using his experience and knowledge of league 1 football to put them in a position where they are challenging for a play-off place. I know who's league position I would rather be in now!

IMO, in the time he has been here Neilson has proved he has insufficient knowledge of league 1, English football and he doesn't seem to gel with his players or the clubs supporters, so he doesn't tick many boxes at this club tbh.

Having said all that, I will be at Sixfields today getting behind the team and you wont hear me chanting "Neilson out".
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Things are fractious, and RN has deliberately taken on more risk than in hindsight a more experienced manger might have taken. Same with Robinson though, he took risks. The difference being RN has not yet established enough trust in the form of success on the pitch.
MKDF

Postby MKDF » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Let’s swap seats AC.

I’m now officially RN out. The decision making - from the kids brought in to today’s line up - seems unfathomable. Too many indicators of flawed capability.

When the going gets tough the tough make the tough decisions.

But I will continue to back the players.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:48 pm

MKDF wrote:Let’s swap seats AC.

I’m now officially RN out. The decision making - from the kids brought in to today’s line up - seems unfathomable. Too many indicators of flawed capability.

When the going gets tough the tough make the tough decisions.

But I will continue to back the players.

Such is the damage he (Neilson) has done, it will be one hell of a job for any manager to get us out of this mess.Still I suppose anything is worth a try.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm

This is where I hope PW has done that contingency planning.

Sad sad days.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:24 pm

MKDF wrote:This is where I hope PW has done that contingency planning.

Sad sad days.

It's a massive decision. I can't see where Robbie Neilson is going to solve this. Dropping Chuks in a relegation & local rival match! He doesn't seem to be lucky either, first Sow and now Chuks being sent off. Is the only thing keeping in a job the cost of terminating his contract or that he is given two years come what may?
Furzdonny

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat