Reality check

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Re: Reality check

Postby dons50 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:47 pm

I think we can safely assume that when Lewie gets back to full fitness he’s got that spot sewn up.
dons50

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 pm

dons50 wrote:I think we can safely assume that when Lewie gets back to full fitness he’s got that spot sewn up.

He did OK against a league 2 side, although he was puffing & panting at times and lasted 56 minutes. I will wait until he is against a few League 1 attacks and hopefully we will have cover by the end of January,
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Furzdonny wrote:
dons50 wrote:I think we can safely assume that when Lewie gets back to full fitness he’s got that spot sewn up.

He did OK against a league 2 side, although he was puffing & panting at times and lasted 56 minutes. I will wait until he is against a few League 1 attacks and hopefully we will have cover by the end of January,

Really!! I was surprised when he was taken off, our best player IMO. Cover for Lewie is the least of our worries!
ACDon

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:05 pm

ACDon wrote:
Furzdonny wrote:

Really!! I was surprised when he was taken off, our best player IMO. Cover for Lewie is the least of our worries!

I will have to disagree. Someone said that he thought Lewie would get MotM regardless, so I was pleasantly surprised when it was given to Gilbey. Lewie did OK but I think Cisse showed that we urgently need left back cover.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:06 pm

MKDF wrote:I'm not going to be popular - but it wasn't all Neilson was it...

The damage Neilson has done will take a long while to repair, not sure if we'll even stay up this season, but on the plus side we do have Aneke to come back into our side. It was pleasing to see us hold on to the ball a bit more today, though the small amount of clear cut chances we managed to create is worrying. I was a bit concerned some people were getting a bit carried away with the new regime, make no mistake, it isn't going to be easy.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:09 am

I know people like to find one person to blame because it helps with hope that the solution will be easier, but the reality is that the mess we're in is a collective issue. Just think back to pre season and how poor we were.

Still, there was more fight yesterday, there were some encouraging passages of play, and we have a decent chance to improve under the new management. For me though, the objective is just survival by any means. There will be a huge amount to do in the Summer come what may. I can't think of many players in our squad who are genuine promotion quality.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:05 am

MKDF wrote:I know people like to find one person to blame because it helps with hope that the solution will be easier, but the reality is that the mess we're in is a collective issue. Just think back to pre season and how poor we were.

Still, there was more fight yesterday, there were some encouraging passages of play, and we have a decent chance to improve under the new management. For me though, the objective is just survival by any means. There will be a huge amount to do in the Summer come what may. I can't think of many players in our squad who are genuine promotion quality.

You maybe right but it's down to individuals as well. Agard missing a relatively easy chance, Dan making the wrong substitution, EEL making another howler. Add these up at the end of the season they decide your fate.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:19 am

MKDF wrote:I know people like to find one person to blame because it helps with hope that the solution will be easier, but the reality is that the mess we're in is a collective issue. Just think back to pre season and how poor we were.

Pretty much agree with this, though we did show enough promise pre-season (ie. In the Leicester and Brentford games) to offer some encouragement and optimism for this season.

Totally agree.
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:56 pm

A couple of weeks back I thought we might lose to Coventry and that would be the final straw that broke PWs back and Neilson would go. So we are a week further advanced than I expected, a lot has happened in that week and an improved performance yesterday is something I am fairly happy about.
The first half we were on top, eleven players looked as though they knew each other and we played some good possession football mainly in the Coventry half. We still had our old problem of not creating any decent goal-scoring chances though, failing to penetrate a well organize and disciplined Coventry defence.
Second half I expected League 2 Coventry to tire but surprisingly we tired the more, our performance deteriorated and in the end we lost to yet another soft goal from a stupid defensive mistake. No complaints though, Coventry just about deserved their win.
We can sit and moan about the end result, criticize the manager for his substitutions (I was convinced EEL was going to replace Cisse) and think nothing has changed - but it has and very much so! Considering DM only had Wed,Thurs & Fri. to work with is team we can see already what type of football he wants to play and it looks promising. Changes will be made, the rumour that we have already signed one player - to be announced on Monday - and another expected before closing time on Wednesday was very strong and will hopefully be for the better.
DM knows where he wants to go and that it is not going to be easy. He has made a favourable impression in a short time and has already lifted the spirits of many of us. I liked the way he treated the Cov. management and shook hands before and after the game then went on the pitch to applaud our supporters on all three sides where we were sitting.
Early days, a lot to do, but I am certainly much more hopeful than I was a couple of weeks ago.
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:A couple of weeks back I thought we might lose to Coventry and that would be the final straw that broke PWs back and Neilson would go. So we are a week further advanced than I expected, a lot has happened in that week and an improved performance yesterday is something I am fairly happy about.
The first half we were on top, eleven players looked as though they knew each other and we played some good possession football mainly in the Coventry half. We still had our old problem of not creating any decent goal-scoring chances though, failing to penetrate a well organize and disciplined Coventry defence.
Second half I expected League 2 Coventry to tire but surprisingly we tired the more, our performance deteriorated and in the end we lost to yet another soft goal from a stupid defensive mistake. No complaints though, Coventry just about deserved their win.
We can sit and moan about the end result, criticize the manager for his substitutions (I was convinced EEL was going to replace Cisse) and think nothing has changed - but it has and very much so! Considering DM only had Wed,Thurs & Fri. to work with is team we can see already what type of football he wants to play and it looks promising. Changes will be made, the rumour that we have already signed one player - to be announced on Monday - and another expected before closing time on Wednesday was very strong and will hopefully be for the better.
DM knows where he wants to go and that it is not going to be easy. He has made a favourable impression in a short time and has already lifted the spirits of many of us. I liked the way he treated the Cov. management and shook hands before and after the game then went on the pitch to applaud our supporters on all three sides where we were sitting.
Early days, a lot to do, but I am certainly much more hopeful than I was a couple of weeks ago.

Good post LD :D

I don't think any of us should underestimate the size of the job DM has in keeping us in league 1.
ACDon

PreviousNext

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat