Pete Winkelman's Post Dan Press Conference

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Pete Winkelman's Post Dan Press Conference

Postby Furzdonny » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:41 pm

Here is the link

https://www.mkdons.com/news/2018/april/ ... ses-media/

I thought Pete talked a lot of sense, but he didn't really explain how we can get value for money in the recruitment and are the players under performing or are they just not good enough. If they are under performing it will take a very good manager to revitalise them for next season.
Furzdonny

Re: Pete Winkelman's Post Dan Press Conference

Postby ACDon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:59 pm

I honestly don't think you could ask for anymore from a football club Chairman, he is obviously gutted at the way the last two Managers have turned out, both Neilson and Micciche were appointed with the best intentions but sadly both fell short of Winkie's expectations and as has already been said, we did have a top 4 budget this season but for a multitude of reasons things have not worked out. Totally honest in his answers, I hope our supporters give him their backing because as Chairmen go, we could do a lot worse.
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am

PW has MK Dons ingrained in his heart and is obviously feeling terrible about our current situation and accepting the blame for most of it. Personally, I don't see that he should blame himself too much as he has kept the club/business financially solvent and given each manager a relevantly decent sized budget to work with. He allows each manager a free rein to look after football matters as they wish.
Our present predicament should be apportioned fairly between the last three managers.
Yes, PW is responsible for appointing the managers and yes, he has made mistakes with the last three. PW admits Robbo should have gone the season ending with our last relegation and that RN and DM have been disappointing. However these are perfectly understandable mistakes, he showed just too much loyalty to Robbo and, let us be honest, at the time of their appointment many of us thought the other two were "inspired - typical PW" appointments.
The problem now is that it is imperative PW appoints someone who will be successful when the fact is that appointing any manager is a calculated risk in any business, let alone football.
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I’m not sure I agree that the last two decisions were understandable. Both were risk seeking, extremely so with Maccichi.

But because it kind of worked with Robinson (arguably) it’s easy to think that you have the knack of picking a good horse when actually it is not that easy.

We have been behaving like enthusiastic amateurs. I’ll say again, Pete will continue to make expensive mistakes without more football experience alongside him IMO.

The next pick is going to be the toughest Pete has ever made. I’m pleased that he acknowledges he needs help deciding. Picking the right help is a challenge in itself.
MKDF

Postby LinsladeDon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:59 pm

When it comes to the bottom line, at the end of the day etc. football is a 'results' business - and it is results which saw the demise of our last three managers. Although perhaps surprising that PW acted so promptly this time, it is nevertheless perfectly understandable.

We don't know just how much support/advice Keith Millen gave to Dan, but PW was very complimentary towards Keith during interview. If Keith gets a remarkable improvement from the team in the next three games, PW just might think of extending his stay. Not such a daft idea when we consider that not one suitable name 'jumped out' at PW just a few weeks ago.
LinsladeDon

Postby Furzdonny » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:53 pm

I believe Keith will have to do the impossible and keep us up to get the job as his manager win ratio is quite poor, 33%. Hopefully the new man will need a No 2 or Pete will see sense and hire him as a Chief Scout.
Furzdonny

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat