Scunthorpe United game.....

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Scunthorpe United game.....

Postby ACDon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:24 pm

Saturday sees us host Scunthorpe United in our last home game of what has been a very disappointing season. There can't be any bad luck stories, the league table does not lie, it looks as though we are going to finish the season as the second worse team in the league.

Enough of that, what is done is done and we need to move on. I can't say I agree with the club's decision to change the player of the year awards, it is a tradition that should be upheld on an annual basis, whether we have been successful or not.

I'm not for one minute expecting Dons supporters to be in a jovial mood tomorrow, but I am at least hoping there is some respect shown for our chairman. Last week at Southend I heard several of our supporters shouting for Winkie to go and surprise surprise it was many of the same supporters that wanted rid of Karl Robinson. Well they achieved their wish with KR and look where we are now! I just hope they don't get their wish with our chairman, because without him their would be no MK Dons FC. My biggest criticism of Winkie is he probably tries too hard to please our fans, hardly a bad thing maybe, but I honestly believe it has cost us our league 1 status. I said it with the KR situation and I will say it again, be careful what you wish for!!

For a chairman to stand up and admit he made mistakes (as he did when making his recent speech) takes a lot of courage and he should be applauded for it, even though the recent managerial appointments he made were done with the very best intentions they never worked out, but I'm confident a lot of lessons have been learned and we will come back stronger and wiser.

We will be back!!

COYD.
ACDon

Re: Scunthorpe United game.....

Postby dons50 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:48 am

Very good post, AC
dons50

Postby MKDF » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:54 am

Deleted
Last edited by MKDF on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:06 am

They say hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I agreed with all Pete's decision and when he made them at the time. The only disagreement I have is that we need a Chief Scout. Someone with the knowledge and standing to say:

Cisse isn't going to be suitable for this league;
That Church & Maynard shouldn't be bought as they haven't scored prolifically for years and Maynard hadn't scored a lot since his injury;
That EEL is too slow and not good enough on the ball;
That league 1 & 2 players aren't over valued and the players we were signing aren't better than the players recruited by other clubs;
That Benavente and the other Spanish player shouldn't be bought as they need to be scouted and we can't afford scouts in Spain;
That Emmanual- Thomas & Dale Jennings were too unfit to sign;
That Matthew Upson was past it;
That we should buy Grigg in the promotion season January window;
That we needed to refresh the players when we got relegated;
That we needed a striker on form and a centre half who is tall / strong but not slow;
That Tshibola was coming from a failing club and was out of form;
That Sow hadn't played a lot of football and should have been signed on loan instead.

Again hindsight is a wonderful thing but a Chief Scout might have picked some of these failings out beforehand and suggested better players with better value for money and Pete wouldn't have wasted as much of the money available.
Last edited by Furzdonny on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Furzdonny

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:24 am

Well said AC.

However ( there usually is a 'however' ;) ) a couple of points though;
This season has been so dire that I believe the decision not to have a POTY award and to concentrate on the performances of the youngsters and the ladies is understandable and correct. Stoke City have also done the same and they are not even down - yet.
I spoke to Robbo recently and told him that I thought it was right that he left when he did. He surprised me slightly in saying "I fully agree with you, I had to get away." So we can say his leaving was indeed mutual between club and manager and we have to get over Robbo leaving, he has long gone!
PW obviously tries to please the fans (he is one himself!) but he is still his own man and acts as he thinks right, not what the crowd thinks - and so pleased am I that he does so.
I will be there today supporting the team and won't be miserable or calling for anyone's head. I suspect most of the crowd will feel the same way, what is done is done, we were just not good enough. Time to move on, life is too short to be miserable.

I agree completely though - we will be back!! :D
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:30 am

All chairmen/bosses make mistakes, regardless of experience, though you would like to think they become fewer and further between with more experience. We've taken on some quality players in the past who have had a history of injury problems, Chadwick, Bowditch and Aneke to mention just three and over all I'm happy with this kind of risk taking, if these players never had previous injury problems they would never have been affordable within our budget.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:50 am

Deleted.
Last edited by MKDF on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MKDF

Postby MKDF » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:54 am

LinsladeDon wrote:Well said AC.

However ( there usually is a 'however' ;) ) a couple of points though;
This season has been so dire that I believe the decision not to have a POTY award and to concentrate on the performances of the youngsters and the ladies is understandable and correct. Stoke City have also done the same and they are not even down - yet.
I spoke to Robbo recently and told him that I thought it was right that he left when he did. He surprised me slightly in saying "I fully agree with you, I had to get away." So we can say his leaving was indeed mutual between club and manager and we have to get over Robbo leaving, he has long gone!
PW obviously tries to please the fans (he is one himself!) but he is still his own man and acts as he thinks right, not what the crowd thinks - and so pleased am I that he does so.
I will be there today supporting the team and won't be miserable or calling for anyone's head. I suspect most of the crowd will feel the same way, what is done is done, we were just not good enough. Time to move on, life is too short to be miserable.

I agree completely though - we will be back!! :D

Really interesting position from Robbo, which shows a lot of maturity. The odds have fallen just a little in my view that he will go on to be a great success.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:24 am

[quote="LinsladeDon"]Well said AC.

;
/quote]

Neither are we LD. ;)

:lol:
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:48 pm

ACDon wrote:
LinsladeDon wrote:Well said AC.

;
/quote]

Neither are we LD. ;)

Getting my Dons gear on ready to depart, but that comment got a genuine laugh out of me and I will now leave home in a happier frame of mind. Thanks AC - COYD. :lol:
LinsladeDon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat