Re-Building......

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Re-Building......

Postby ACDon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 am

IMO must start ASAP, no point in dwelling on what could have been and what should have been, we now need to move forward.

Personally I don't want to see a massive cull of players, I accept we will lose some, maybe some want to go (and if that's the case they should leave), but for Me the most important thing is we (the club) identify where we have gone wrong and how it can be put right. Our last two managers (for whatever reasons) never worked out, they simply never got consistent performances out of the players and we need to get a permanent new man in quickly, so he can be allowed to build his own team for next season, IMO, Micciche's departure will only be advantageous if this happens. Not expecting big things next season, if we can grab a play-off place I will be happy.

I certainly don't envy Winkie with the task in hand but I've every confidence he will come up trumps and get the club back on track even though it may take a couple of seasons.

Any thoughts?
ACDon

Re: Re-Building......

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:32 am

I believe we need to get the spine right and improve the pace of the team.

Chuks & Agard might come good in league 1, but will Sow be fit? Therefore we might need another striker who can bang in the goals (unless Noumbe's the man). Either we re-sign Upson or get at least one creative player and I hope McGrandles comes good. Most importantly we only have one recognised centre back in Walsh and although Williams can fit in there, they aren't the biggest. Therefore we need at least two centre halves who can challenge for the ball, without being too slow or unable to pass. We also need pacey wingers, although these might be loan players. So I believe we need two to six players, although Pete said he wants to cut the squad.

As important is a manager who can motivate the players after two relegations in three years and solve our set pieces weaknesses.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 am

Furzdonny wrote:I believe we need to get the spine right and improve the pace of the team.

Chuks & Agard might come good in league 1, but will Sow be fit? Therefore we might need another striker who can bang in the goals (unless Noumbe's the man). Either we re-sign Upson or get at least one creative player and I hope McGrandles comes good. Most importantly we only have one recognised centre back in Walsh and although Williams can fit in there, they aren't the biggest. Therefore we need at least two centre halves who can challenge for the ball, without being too slow or unable to pass. We also need pacey wingers, although these might be loan players. So I believe we need two to six players, although Pete said he wants to cut the squad.

As important is a manager who can motivate the players after two relegations in three years and solve our set pieces weaknesses.

Good points Furzdonny, talking of McGrandles, whatever happened to him? I was quite impressed with his performances a few months ago, he seemed to improve on a weekly basis and just when I thought he had established his self as a regular starter he disappeared, very strange! :?

I wonder what the chances are of signing Ward on a permanent basis, he would be a great asset in league 2, but pretty sure wages would be a big issue with him.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:41 am

Any views on Mark Warburton if we could get him?
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:49 am

ACDon wrote:
Furzdonny wrote:I believe we need to get the spine right and improve the pace of the team.

Good points Furzdonny, talking of McGrandles, whatever happened to him? I was quite impressed with his performances a few months ago, he seemed to improve on a weekly basis and just when I thought he had established his self as a regular starter he disappeared, very strange! :?

I wonder what the chances are of signing Ward on a permanent basis, he would be a great asset in league 2, but pretty sure wages would be a big issue with him.

I don't know if my eyes were deceiving me, but McGrandles seem to have grown a few inches and I forgot that Muirhead can play up front. There must be some goals in him if he can learn to use his size or is he another Daniel Powell? I wouldn't complain if we got Ward, but he hasn't solved our self pieces problems, so I would want another centre half, which must be our priority.
Furzdonny

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:51 am

MKDF wrote:Any views on Mark Warburton if we could get him?

His stats look good. I wonder if he can turn a failing team around?
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:52 am

Would be a massive coup, but not sure if he would be willing to manage a league 2 side.
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:52 pm

It is correct to say that we do need quite a few new players and it is also correct to say that PW said our squad was too big. One big problem is that, IIRC, only two players, Upson and Wootton are out of contract this summer. All other contracted players will be on good money for a league 2 club and getting any of them off our books to make way for new signings will not a simple matter.
We may have to 'make do' with what we have got.
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Furzdonny wrote:

For me without doubt a very capable manager. The biggest doubt is that he seems to clash with his chairmen. BUT Winkie’s style may therefore appeal all the more.

Regarding squad, I think we should build now for the championship not league one as we did under Allen. That means wholesale change in my view, but I doubt the budget will be anywhere near good enough.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:30 pm

MKDF wrote:
Furzdonny wrote:

For me without doubt a very capable manager. The biggest doubt is that he seems to clash with his chairmen. BUT Winkie’s style may therefore appeal all the more.

Regarding squad, I think we should build now for the championship not league one as we did under Allen. That means wholesale change in my view, but I doubt the budget will be anywhere near good enough.

We need to start building from the back, plus a raplacement for Chuks if he moves on. One good thing is that the squad is quite young and would have learnt a lot this season and have got stronger.
Furzdonny

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat