New Manager

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

New Manager

Postby Furzdonny » Sun May 06, 2018 8:33 am

So who do you want as next manager> The following seem to be be in the frame with win ratios, clubs managed and honours.

Graham Alexander - 42.2 - Fleetwood, Scunthorpe (Caretaker Preston) - League Two play-off winner, League One promotion playoffs.

Uwe Rosler - 42.5 - Lillestrøm, Viking, Molde, Brentford, Wigan, Leeds, Fleetwood - 2 Norwegian cup finals, League One playoffs, Championship playoffs.

Steve Cotterill - 40.7 - Cheltenham Town; Stoke City, Burnley, Notts County, Portsmouth, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City, Birmingham - League of Ireland Premier winner, League of Ireland Cup final, Southern Football League Premier Division promotion, FA Trophy winner, Conference winner, Third Division (now League 2) play off winner, League Two winner, Football League Trophy, League One winner

Paul Tisdale - 38.5 - Team Bath, Exeter. Four promotions at Team Bath, Conference Playoff winner, League 2 promotion.

Martin Allen - 40.64 - Barnet, Brentford, MK Dons, Leicester, Cheltenham Town, Notts County, Gillingham Eastleigh - Division 2 (League 1) playoffs, League 2 playoffs, League 2 winner.

Keith Millen - 33.3 - Bristol City (Caretaker manager Bristol City, Crystal Palace, MK Dons).

Nigel Reo-Coker - N/A, Managed none.

A N Other - Unknown

I would be happy with Graham Alexander, but I concerned of reports that at Scunthorpe he played players out of position. Experience is good but not great. Continued Scunthorpe's revival. A serious contender.

Uwe Rosler would add a bit of glamour and European Experience. Hasn't won a league but made the play offs. Rösler compared his style to Klopp, which I would like if true.

Steve Cotterill is a winner, although disappointing results at Leeds & Birmingham blot his record. I would put him as the favourite if he wanted the job.

Paul Tisdale has an outside chance, but might want to stay with Exeter, especially if they get promoted. Stylish in dress and couture. :D

Martin Allen has experience, but unconventional managerial methods, can be abrasive and can walk out of a club, including us and especially Barnet. Too much of a wild card.

Keith Millen & Nigel Reo-Coker are also run in my opinion and A N Other will need to be a lot better than Alexander, Cotterill, Rosler.

My choice would be Cotterill, then Rosler and then Alexander.
Last edited by Furzdonny on Sun May 06, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furzdonny

Re: New Manager

Postby MKDF » Sun May 06, 2018 8:48 am

Some good arguments there.

Out of that list, I'd go for Mark Warburton 47.9%. :D A candidate to progress and solidify us in the Championship if we can attract/afford him.

TBH none of the others inspire me. Cotterill would be best from that list but he has lost his mojo.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sun May 06, 2018 9:07 am

MKDF wrote:Some good arguments there.

Out of that list, I'd go for Mark Warburton 47.9%. :D A candidate to progress and solidify us in the Championship if we can attract/afford him.

TBH none of the others inspire me. Cotterill would be best from that list but he has lost his mojo.

I ruled him out as I don't believe he would be interested and I didn't include the Cowley brothers, Lincoln as i understand that they have signed new contracts, but for the record

Mark Warburton - 55.33 - Brentford, Rangers, Nottingham Forest - League 1 promotion, Scottish Challenge Cup, Sottish Championship winner.

Danny Cowley - 54.7 - Concord Rangers, Braintree Town, Lincoln - Three promotion with Concord Rangers, National League playoffs, National League winner.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Sun May 06, 2018 9:45 am

Whoever Pete settles on they cannot be out of their depth, which the last two managers were. Maybe that rules out Cowley.
MKDF

Postby Furzdonny » Sun May 06, 2018 10:58 am

The areas I would like the club to cover in the recruitment in order of weighting:

1. Evidence of successful recruitment (especially goal scorers and centre backs) and building the scouting knowledge with the recruitment team;
2. Evidence of turning around a failing club and a plan of action;
3. How they will develop player motivation and relationships with players to maximise the team's potential;
4. Tactics. Not too rigid, but with a preference that isn't long ball and includes the press;
5. Coaching, training and fitness;
6. Relationship with the youth teams and developing youngsters;
7. Relationships with the club, community and the fans.
Furzdonny

Postby Furzdonny » Sun May 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Preferred formation

Graham Alexander 4-4-2

Uwe Rosler 3-5-2

Steve Cotterill 4-2-3-1

Paul Tisdale 4-4-2 with two defensive midfielders.

Martin Allen 4-4-2

Mark Warburton 4-3-3

Danny Cowley 4-4-2
Furzdonny

Postby dons50 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:51 pm

I’d like Warburton too. The work he did at Brentford was excellent. Sadly, I think he’s probably out of our league.
dons50

Postby MKDF » Sun May 06, 2018 5:39 pm

dons50 wrote:

I’d like Warburton too. The work he did at Brentford was excellent. Sadly, I think he’s probably out of our league.

On the other hand, aren't we meant to ambitious to be in the Premier League? At some point we need to prove our ambitions.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Mon May 07, 2018 8:29 am

I certainly wouldn't want the job of recruiting the new boss, it is an unenviable task. Graham Alexander certainly ticks a few boxes, he will have good recent knowledge of the lower leagues and a fair chance he will have a few decent contacts, so maybe he's the man.
ACDon

Postby Furzdonny » Mon May 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Then again we might be making the same mistake Pete did with Neilson, looking for the polar opposite of the previous manager. A mixture of Robinson, Neilson & Micciche, might be better.
Furzdonny

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat