Oh what a night it was.......

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Oh what a night it was.......

Postby LinsladeDon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 pm

........it really was such a night. Sorry if that was before your time but it describes tonight perfectly for me.
Went to the kit launch/England match tonight in the Arena and incredibly it is believed that more than 1000 of us attended. The atmosphere was great as was the bar service and food and the finish to the evening was momentous, thanks to a certain Harry Kane.
There is certainly a new buoyancy about the place and I actually asked PW, "Did we really get relegated last season?" He got what I meant and agreed it is hard to believe that we did.
The kit launch took place first and whilst the 'other forum' are busy slagging it off, for those present it was very well received judging by the applause. I thought it original and unique and it certainly looks much better worn than any photos I have seen of it.
We also had our new manager in attendance and he gave a good interview but wasn't really asked any pertinent or in-depth questions.
Then on to the football, a huge 15 square metres excellent screen and a (very) loud commentary easily seen and heard by all and with so many watching made the game so much more realistic than watching at home. When England scored the winner some guy twice my size and half my age nearly strangled me with a huge bear-hug in sheer delight. Everyone was euphoric - what an ending to a really enjoyable night.
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby ACDon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 pm

I wouldn't want the job of trying to please our supporters regarding the design of our new kit, normally there are just a few subtle changes made and the club get criticised for that, but this year there is quite a significant change and low and behold the same people are criticising, so no surprise there. Although I would prefer just a plain simple design, I've got no problem with the new kit, my bigger concern is the players that are going to be wearing it. ;)
ACDon
 
Posts: 6449
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby LinsladeDon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 pm

ACDon wrote:I wouldn't want the job of trying to please our supporters regarding the design of our new kit, normally there are just a few subtle changes made and the club get criticised for that, but this year there is quite a significant change and low and behold the same people are criticising, so no surprise there. Although I would prefer just a plain simple design, I've got no problem with the new kit, my bigger concern is the players that are going to be wearing it. ;)

Agreed AC, an attractive kit (and I think this one is) obviously helps sales and therefore benefits the club financially but really it is not how the players look it is how they play that matters.
On another point, the club/hotel must have made a small fortune on the night, with bar, food and kit sales doing very well. I wonder if they are considering opening up the Arena for the rest of England's games. The atmosphere was great and I would go again - and I am a Scot. :D
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 pm

.......it really was NOT such a night.
Went to the Arena again tonight to see the Engerland v Belgium game and it was the complete opposite to the last enjoyable visit.
No new kit on view, crowd slightly down on last time but no atmosphere whatsoever. Singing the National Anthem was next to nothing, Mrs LD and I stood and gave it laldy but no one in front of us stood at all - and we were sitting almost on the half-way line! Then to the football which did nothing much to excite anyone and, to make it worse, the huge TV screen started cutting out intermittently. To cap it all, someone tried to fix it at HT and only managed to blank it out completely. After 15 mins we left and got home in time to hear the final whistle!
Will I be there next time - if there is a next time - hmmm, 50/50 at best!
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby ACDon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:52 am

LinsladeDon wrote:.......it really was NOT such a night.
Went to the Arena again tonight to see the Engerland v Belgium game and it was the complete opposite to the last enjoyable visit.
No new kit on view, crowd slightly down on last time but no atmosphere whatsoever. Singing the National Anthem was next to nothing, Mrs LD and I stood and gave it laldy but no one in front of us stood at all - and we were sitting almost on the half-way line! Then to the football which did nothing much to excite anyone and, to make it worse, the huge TV screen started cutting out intermittently. To cap it all, someone tried to fix it at HT and only managed to blank it out completely. After 15 mins we left and got home in time to hear the final whistle!
Will I be there next time - if there is a next time - hmmm, 50/50 at best!


Sorry to hear your evening wasn't a success LD, however the one positive you can take is you didn't miss much. I'm not for one minute saying England are going to win the World cup or even progress further, but IMO something needs to change, it can't be right that you gain an advantage by losing a game in the World's biggest competition.
ACDon
 
Posts: 6449
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 am

User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby LinsladeDon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:46 am

Oh what a QUIET night it was.......watching the England game at home. Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of going to the Arena after the non-event last time v Belgium.
Thought England just about deserved to go through but I spent most of the last hour or so nervously thinking that England were going to blow it. It is a wee bit worrying that despite their possession/domination very few goals have come from open play - thank goodness for penalties! The penalty shoot-out at the end has been the most entertaining part of quite a few games in this tournament.
Nevertheless, it is congratulations to England, so far it is job done and and they progress to the quarter-finals. England can play better and go further but it would be much easier to do so if our young friend Dele Alli started to show some form - he has had a very poor tournament so far.
I know this is a Dons Forum but I thought some of you English lads might have opened a topic on the World Cup, especially as there is little else to discuss at the moment. :)
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby Furzdonny » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:28 pm

I thought you were English. :lol: . The football, except the penalties was mostly dull, but hopefully that will not stop us getting to the semis or even the final. I can't see us beating Brazil, France or Belgium
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby littlemodons » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:24 pm

Went to the Arena to see the game, despite the problem at the Belgium game and was pleasantly surprised that so
many turned up. Better organised and enjoyed the night. No problems with the screen although the game was frustrating at times.
littlemodons
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:10 pm

littlemodons wrote:Went to the Arena to see the game, despite the problem at the Belgium game and was pleasantly surprised that so
many turned up. Better organised and enjoyed the night. No problems with the screen although the game was frustrating at times.

Good to hear that it was well attended again - doesn't look like the club will be doing the same again for Saturday's game though.
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3324
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests