Oh what a night it was.......

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Re: Oh what a night it was.......

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Furzdonny wrote:I thought you were English. :lol: . The football, except the penalties was mostly dull, but hopefully that will not stop us getting to the semis or even the final. I can't see us beating Brazil, France or Belgium

Me, an Englishman :o Nah, you're having me on - my posts contain too many (foreign) words such as laldy, dreich and wee etc. to make you think that. :lol:
Agree with your other comments. Making the final is certainly within England's grasp and even then who knows - they have started rather slowly and could be building up for a Grand Finalé . Here's hoping!
LinsladeDon

Postby Furzdonny » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:21 pm

A better performance and a deserved victory against Sweden. Glad Dele scored.
Furzdonny

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Furzdonny wrote:A better performance and a deserved victory against Sweden. Glad Dele scored.

Agreed on both points. England, and Dele, are improving game by game and progressing nicely.
Due to meet Croatia now on Wednesday and, quite honestly, after watching Croatia beat the Ruskies on penalties,England should have nothing to fear. Just keep themselves cool, calm and collected and the final awaits England's presence!
:D
LinsladeDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 pm

.............it really wasn't such a night.
Croatia was there for the taking but England let themselves down quite badly and lost out in the end.
No doubt we all could give good reasons why we think England lost but really it would be churlish of us to do so. Better for us to remember what England DID do in this, the world's premier football competition, rather than what they DIDN'T do.
It ain't over yet but THAT moment of opportunity has now gone.
:D :( :D :( :D
LinsladeDon

Postby Furzdonny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:24 pm

LinsladeDon wrote:
littlemodons wrote:Went to the Arena to see the game, despite the problem at the Belgium game and was pleasantly surprised that so
many turned up. Better organised and enjoyed the night. No problems with the screen although the game was frustrating at times.

Good to hear that it was well attended again - doesn't look like the club will be doing the same again for Saturday's game though.

I agree, although I hope they realise they have to improve and Southgate learns to amend his tactics when it's not working.
Furzdonny

Postby LinsladeDon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:43 pm

....... and thankfully over - that is for a couple of years until the Euros. I said before we should remember just how well England did by exceeded expectations and fourth is their best place finish for donkey's years.
Nevertheless, Belgium showed us today that there is a huge gulf between the good and the great and that a player (or two or three) of world class is needed to provide that touch of genius it takes to win games at this level. Maybe some youngster such as Alli, Lingard, Rashford or even Sterling will come good, they are still young and this was a marvellous experience for them - time will tell I suppose.
I hope they do improve because the other home nations are way, way, way behind.
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:33 am

LinsladeDon wrote:....... and thankfully over - that is for a couple of years until the Euros. I said before we should remember just how well England did by exceeded expectations and fourth is their best place finish for donkey's years.
Nevertheless, Belgium showed us today that there is a huge gulf between the good and the great and that a player (or two or three) of world class is needed to provide that touch of genius it takes to win games at this level. Maybe some youngster such as Alli, Lingard, Rashford or even Sterling will come good, they are still young and this was a marvellous experience for them - time will tell I suppose.
I hope they do improve because the other home nations are way, way, way behind

The final paragraph pretty much sums it up for me....... however Southgate played a very clever game, playing down our chances, saying we were going there to entertain, play with no fear and enjoy the experience, when in truth he knew damn well we had a really good chance of reaching the semi finals without actually playing a top side, The way the draw was plotted out he knew if we could be beat Tunisia and Panama we just needed to get the right result against Belgium (which was a defeat) and the draw was opened up for us to at very least reach the semi final. In fact our best result in the whole tournament was the 1-0 defeat to Belgium in the group stages, because without that we would have been coming home a lot earlier.

Fair play to Southgate, he is a shrewd cookie, despite making numerous tactical mistakes, he got the whole country buzzing and behind the National side, but as said by LD there is still a big gulf between the good and very good sides.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 am

The great thing is we have a manager with long-term prospects. He got the spirit spot on, but tactically there is plenty of room for improvement. So longevity is vital.

Another area that will hopefully unfold is selection. We were weaker by playing similar players, with a couple out of their best positions purely to get players on the pitch. Hopefully more world class players will emerge which will help build the spine of the team in their best positions for 3 or 4 tournaments.

Finally, identity. We still have the technical side to the game to build alongside set pieces. Again I see that building in parallel with the quality of Southgate's coaching staff, although top level game time in clubs is essential too.
MKDF

Previous

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat