Are there grounds for optimism?

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Are there grounds for optimism?

Postby MKDF » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 am

In the main, we are retaining the same squad as last season, with a few additions who were previously playing at L2 level. Coventry showed how poorly we were playing when they beat us comfortably.

Yet we currently have the best odds to go back up as title holders (albeit at a non-committal 8-1). Whatever way you look at it, there is a disconnect which can only be explained by one variable: our new manager.

Is our new manager enough? Are you optimistic and, if you are, to what degree and how do you justify your optimism?
MKDF

Re: Are there grounds for optimism?

Postby LinsladeDon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:42 am

Good questions.

Is our new manager enough?
No, but he didn't come on his own and brought a couple of his henchmen with him. That was a good start, and he now needed to make a few astute signings - again he has made a good start.

Are you optimistic?
Yes, very much so.

To what degree?
That we will certainly achieve a play-off position, reasonably assured that we will finish in an automatic promotion position and hopeful that we could finish top of the league.

And how do you justify your optimism?
We have a good squad of players and I believe Neilson made some very good signings in his time here, but with injuries and his style of management, he never got the best out of them. With us now having a much more experienced and more thoughtful manager, I am confident that after a good pre-season together these players will be fully fit, raring to go and that we will see improved performances from most of them.
LinsladeDon

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:08 pm

The start of the season is always grounds for optimism and we have a good new centre half which has been a problem area (although I would like another one, even if we have Walsh and Williams). There are likely to be further changes and I believe a lot of the players we have are good enough for League 2. The biggest worry are the reports that Sow has had an operation and how long it will take for him to recover and return.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:41 pm

I'm pretty much sitting on the fence here.

Whilst I'm fairly happy with Tisdale being appointed as our Manager I'm far from convinced we currently have anything like the quality required to bounce straight back, just cast your minds back to our 2007/8 double winning season, Willy Guretl, Lewington, O'Hanlon, Swailes, Andrews, Wright, Dyer, Johnson, Wilbraham, not sure we have any players in our current squad who would give these players any competition for a place in the side.

My hope is that Tisdale (unlike Micciche) will be given time, because I have my doubts we have enough strength in depth to bounce straight back.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:54 pm

I'm more similarly minded as AC.

While I hope Tisdale will make this group hum, I'm far from convinced we're good enough.

For me, we need to be good enough for two back-to-back promotions. We need better players for that.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:49 am

MKDF wrote:I'm more similarly minded as AC.

While I hope Tisdale will make this group hum, I'm far from convinced we're good enough.

For me, we need to be good enough for two back-to-back promotions. We need better players for that.

A very good point, how many times have we seen this happen? In fact it so nearly happened to us the very next season (2008/9) with RDM. Teams get promoted, have that winning mentality, good momentum and it continues into the next season and in some cases beyond.

I'm looking forward to the coming season but I can't say my expectation levels are very high.
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:55 am

Yep, without that approach you risk spending more years in L1. We can always secure one promotion then upgrade the team, but that doesn't help the deeper fabric of the club, and may not pay off either.
MKDF

Postby dons50 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:37 am

As long as Pete has learned that hire and fire isn’t a good idea, I’m optimistic about the future. I’m really not that concerned about immediate promotion, more about proper long term thinking.
dons50

Postby Furzdonny » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:20 pm

At least we have done it before and can do it again
Furzdonny

Postby LinsladeDon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:06 pm

dons50 wrote:As long as Pete has learned that hire and fire isn’t a good idea, I’m optimistic about the future. I’m really not that concerned about immediate promotion, more about proper long term thinking.

Looking at the length of the contracts Robbie Neilson dished out to players, and by entering a team in an under-age league plus some staffing changes he made, it is fair to say that Robbie was obviously thinking long term. But he didn't cure his immediate problems first and the result is that he won't be here to reap any benefits his long term planning may bring.
Paul Tisdale fully understands this which is why 3 out of his 4 signings are for 1 year only. Improving performances have to be his first objective, but getting promotion this season or next is imperative.
LinsladeDon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat