Grimsby Town reviews....

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Grimsby Town reviews....

Postby ACDon » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Fair result tonight IMO, Grimsby were on top in the first half and we were on top in the second half, good to see Tisdale brave enough to make such significant changes at half time, something simply had to be done though, we had posed such little threat for the majority of the first half there looked only one outcome. We still look so short up front, but I have to say Simpson did his self no harm when he came on at half time.

Like I'm sure every other Dons fan, I've been pleasantly surprised at the upturn in form shown by Cisse this season, but MOTM tonight!! :o Walsh would have been my choice.

Any thoughts?
ACDon

Re: Grimsby Town reviews....

Postby Furzdonny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:17 am

We could have been two / three down in the 1st half and I thought maybe the wheels were coming off, but Paul Tisdale made the changes and we won the 2nd half. So a fair result.
Furzdonny

Postby MKDF » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:46 am

I can see why Cisse got MOTM - pretty much every move into their half involved some skill from him. But recognise the blocks Walsh made in the first half especially.

Overall, I'm amazed how we are not getting creamed every match. Our good defensive record is more down to shocking finishing by the opposition than our organisation. The football is utter dross most of the time - we would be pummelled in league one.

Not sure about Alex Gilbey - since his arrival, nothing I've seen tells me he is the real deal. Maybe he will click...

However, I enjoyed Simpson's intelligence - reminded me of Wilbraham with some of his touches. And Lewie forward on the left worked really well too - so much so I would try starting him there (we'd be more certain at the back too). The two of them, with Ousse, provided much more guile in the final third. Hats off to Tis for that. Sadly Agard continues to misfire - no idea why he wasn't replaced by Dylan in the last 25 minutes. Callum had a better second half, with some great crosses.

Getting used to supporting a L2 team (in every sense) in L2.

Still, it's early days. This team may be capable of more promising football as the season progresses.

PS - great effort by the Grimsby fans.
MKDF

Postby LinsladeDon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Excellent comments above, whether favourable or otherwise they are all relevant and at the start of the season we should give most thought to the not-so-good. I don't think Grimsby are considered to be among the promotion favourites yet in the first half they were much the better team with faster movement on and off the ball and run us ragged. If Grimsby can do that to us at home what lies ahead when we play the considered favourites?
However, changes made at H/T showed that Tisdale knows what he is doing and no doubt improve we will - albeit an on-going slow process.
We certainly improved after H/T to the point that when asked about 15/20 mins from time if I would take a draw now I said no, we can still win this. It was not to be and in the end a draw was a fair result.
The standard of football is obviously lower than we have experienced over the last few seasons (Usually by our opponents :( )but nevertheless last night the endeavour put in by both teams gave us a keenly contested game that was entertaining and well worth watching.
LinsladeDon

Postby ACDon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Agree, some good and honest comments in all the posts above.

As I have stated in other posts, my expectation levels this season were not very high and if somebody would have said to me that after 4 games we would have been sitting in 5th position, unbeaten with 8 points on the board, having conceded only 2 goals, I would have taken it. The football hasn't been great but the away day experiences at Oldham and Crewe were both superb, the pre match highlight probably being around 80 of us singing "Sweet caroline" in the pub at Crewe last Saturday, not quite as good as this...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=no ... &FORM=VIRE

but a decent effort. :D
ACDon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat