Posh review.

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Posh review.

Postby LinsladeDon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:34 am

Very open, fast moving game which either side could have won. Six goals, many more missed chances and a penalty shoot-out to finish. Checkatrade Trophy or not, this was an entertaining game giving excellent value for money.

Chucks was back with a bang, well a brace in fact of very well taken goals that said "Drop me if you dare." Cisse was captain for the night and led by example with a MOTM performance. Jackson was decent in what was a very shaky defence. Watson had an assist in all three goals - as Southstander pointed out to me!

Inexperience caught up with us though and Posh deserved a point with a late come-back but what an ending - penalties were into sudden-death when Moore made a top quality save.

Youngsters had a run out - even out of favour Nesbitt had 10 mins - and the more experienced ones were able to stretch their legs.

Overall - a most pleasant and satisfactory night.
LinsladeDon

Re: Posh review.

Postby MKDF » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 pm

I enjoyed that game even more than I enjoyed the last one against them down to 9 men. We played some lovely football particularly in the first half. Pish clearly underestimated us in the first half (thanks Evans) and paid the price.

I think they were as open at the back as we were. Our excuse was that we had Jackson at CB who isn’t [yet] strong enough to challenge balls from the opposition keeper. He didn’t win a single challenge but made a few great blocks. They were similarly weak on their left.

The great surprise for me was Moore. Really calm, brilliant reactions and great judgement most of the time. Apart from a five minute spell in the second half where he made a mistake and he was then uncertain for a bit, he looked every bit as good as Nichols if not better. Still - one match is not enough to get a proper view of him.

Chuks was back to the impact per his first spell with us. Was looking to play in his teammates rather than thinking he has to do everything himself, which was great to see. Those interpasses with Kasumu that almost led to his third were awesome.

No Lewington and we looked more balanced across the pitch if not the length.
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Good to see opinions have changed re Aneke, as I said in a previous thread, a fully fit Aneke will destroy teams in league 2. As for Lewie, is it a coincidence that without him in defence we conceded the same amount of goals in one game as we have in 6 league games? I think not!
ACDon

Postby LinsladeDon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:14 pm

ACDon wrote:Good to see opinions have changed re Aneke, as I said in a previous thread, a fully fit Aneke will destroy teams in league 2. As for Lewie, is it a coincidence that without him in defence we conceded the same amount of goals in one game as we have in 6 league games? I think not!

Agree with your first comment but the second re Lewie is an unfair supposition to make. I would say we missed Joe Walsh or Jordan Moore-Taylor in the middle much more than Lewie on the left. We didn't even miss Lewie's captaincy/leadership as Cisse proved himself to be a suitable stand-in.
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:36 am

I haven't changed my view on Chuks - a terrific player with an attitude issue. I was just pleased to see he looked to be enjoying himself, and it gives me hope. Also happy with the way that the other players celebrated his goals with him.

Against Pish, we fielded a weakened back line of 3 against a very good L1 attack. I would argue we struggled most because 1) we had just 3 most of the time and 2) Walsh was missing. But we were also weakened in the left CB position, true. I thought we were faster and more balanced offensively without Lewie - but one Check a Trade match is not enough to draw clear conclusions yet.
MKDF

Postby LinsladeDon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:30 am

MKDF wrote:I haven't changed my view on Chuks - a terrific player with an attitude issue. I was just pleased to see he looked to be enjoying himself, and it gives me hope. Also happy with the way that the other players celebrated his goals with him.

Against Pish, we fielded a weakened back line of 3 against a very good L1 attack. I would argue we struggled most because 1) we had just 3 most of the time and 2) Walsh was missing. But we were also weakened in the left CB position, true. I thought we were faster and more balanced offensively without Lewie - but one Check a Trade match is not enough to draw clear conclusions yet.

Faster and more balanced offensively was one one of the main points that made this game such an interesting and enjoyable one. The speed and some of the interpassing as we broke out of defence was something we haven't seen for a long time. Could this be an indication that Tis feels he has now got his defence in good order and are conceding fewer goals, he can now turn his attention to his next priority - scoring them?
LinsladeDon

Postby MKDF » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Yep - though I still think we’ve much more work to do on defence. We rely too much on shit finishing for my likIng. :P
MKDF

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat