MK Dons: The Speed of Change

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

MK Dons: The Speed of Change

Postby Furzdonny » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:31 pm

A link to an excellent blog from On the Dot below

https://onthedot2018.wordpress.com/
Furzdonny

Re: MK Dons: The Speed of Change

Postby Warwickshire MK Dons » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Yes Tisdale is very level headed, he's definitely galvanised the whole club inc us fans, nice to see those others struggling too :D
Warwickshire MK Dons

Postby ACDon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:15 pm

I love reading those blogs, you can always rely on a good honest opinion from a supporter who has followed the club since the hockey stadium days.

I'm going to try not to put too much of a dampener on things, but we are now playing in the fourth tier of football's pyramid with a fairly high budget and a squad that includes many players with Championship experience, so given everything else that goes with MK Dons (the superb stadium, the supportive chairman etc), I would say Paul Tisdale has well and truly landed on his feet and given his self the opportunity to build a side to push for a Championship place within the next few seasons. The standard of football in league 2 really isn't very special and with the players we have, if we don't get promoted this season it will be a poor show. Of course, on paper, we have made a pretty good start to the season but the fact is we have conceded a fair few late goals (against Grimsby, Swindon, Forest Green, Lincoln, Yeovil) in games we really should have won or in the case of Lincoln at least drawn. This IMO is down to a combination of us not being clinical enough in front of goal and the Manager's tactics. Yes the positivity amongst a large amount of our fans is returning, as the old saying goes; "nothing succeeds like success". Honestly, from what I have seen up to now, to draw a comparison with our last league 2 Championship winning side is nothing short of ridiculous, we need to improve in so many departments if this side is going to be mentioned in the same breath as that double winning side. So at the moment things are looking good but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Great news about our stadium hosting the Cameroon v Brazil game, it just goes to show how highly rated our facilities are amongst football's hierarchy.
ACDon

Postby camdenite » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:40 pm

While I’m inclined to agree with AC that this team has a way to go to match the heights achieved by that of 2007/8, I would say though that that season wasn’t as dominant as the points tally suggested. The record books say we were brilliant on the road, but many of the performances were workmanlike and efficient rather than sparkling and I often left games thinking “we’ll, we’ve mugged them there. We won’t get away with being that far below par next trip”. I was invariably wrong, of course, and that’s the mark of a good team. The mark of a great lower league side though is in how many of them go on to play at a higher level. There were a fair few (Andrews, Dyer, Navarro, Wilbraham & of course, Lewie) but many more who made a sizeable contribution that year that never went any higher in their careers. Remember we got by with strike force of Knight, Gallen and Broughton!

This current side has a lot of growth and potential, and will be judged not just by what they do this year but also once we see where the key players end up in a few years and how their careers pan out. Some will stay around with us and some will move on, of course, but ultimately you can only really judge how good a team actually was in hindsight. That’s certainly true of the 2007/8 vintage in my view. We thought it was a great team but that was only reinforced over the years by what they went on to achieve.
camdenite

Postby ACDon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:00 pm

camdenite wrote:While I’m inclined to agree with AC that this team has a way to go to match the heights achieved by that of 2007/8, I would say though that that season wasn’t as dominant as the points tally suggested. The record books say we were brilliant on the road, but many of the performances were workmanlike and efficient rather than sparkling and I often left games thinking “we’ll, we’ve mugged them there. We won’t get away with being that far below par next trip”. I was invariably wrong, of course, and that’s the mark of a good team. The mark of a great lower league side though is in how many of them go on to play at a higher level. There were a fair few (Andrews, Dyer, Navarro, Wilbraham & of course, Lewie) but many more who made a sizeable contribution that year that never went any higher in their careers. Remember we got by with strike force of Knight, Gallen and Broughton!

This current side has a lot of growth and potential, and will be judged not just by what they do this year but also once we see where the key players end up in a few years and how their careers pan out. Some will stay around with us and some will move on, of course, but ultimately you can only really judge how good a team actually was in hindsight. That’s certainly true of the 2007/8 vintage in my view. We thought it was a great team but that was only reinforced over the years by what they went on to achieve.

Fair comments, hindsight is a wonderful thing. In fact, looking back we did have a fair few backs to the wall, smash and grab wins on the road back in the 07/08 season, can remember several MOTM performances from Gueret that kept us in games. As the old saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day".
ACDon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat