Southend United reviews...

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Southend United reviews...

Postby ACDon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:15 am

It's amazing what a difference a week can make in football, just a week ago we had the high of a convincing 3-0 win at Blackpool and were sitting pretty in 10th position and only 4 points off the league leaders, a week later and we have lost two home games, slipped down to 15th and now sit nearer to the relegation zone than the top of league 1. No shame in losing to Ipswich Town in the week, they are a good side who must stand a very good chance of gaining an automatic promotion slot, but yesterday's game at home to Southend United was a game we really needed to win against a side who before yesterday had picked up one point in eight games.

I certainly wasn't expecting an easy game, sides at the bottom are always fighting and Southend were always going to make things tough for us, but yet again, I couldn't understand the starting line up and the formation Tisdale had set up to play against a side who for obvious reasons were devoid of confidence. Playing a novice lone striker in a home game against the (current) worst side in the league surely takes negativity to a new level. Falling behind after just 4 minutes was a blow but hardly a disaster, we had virtually a whole game to pull a goal back against a side with the second worst defensive record in the league, but despite all the huffing and puffing we never really looked like getting much out of a resolute Southend team who sadly got away with the same sort of gamesmanship and time wasting tactics that Ipswich Town had deployed on Tuesday night, not pretty or entertaining to watch but effective. Russell Martin deservedly got the MOTM award, I thought he stood out yesterday as the classiest player on the pitch.

I'm not sure about the fitness levels of these players, but why were Gilbey, Williams and Agard on the bench? I'm well aware Gilbey is returning from injury but he looked sharp and made a difference when he came on with around 15 minutes to play, surely it would be better to start him in games and then replace him if he can only last 45-60 minutes, as much as I respect Tisdale's knowledge of the game, I can't understand or agree with a lot of his tactics.

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing a packed Stadium MK and Wednesday night's game at home to Liverpool, mad as it may sound, I would have rather beaten Southend yesterday than Liverpool in the week, this is a tough league and on yesterday's evidence we are going to have to dig deep to avoid slipping into a relegation fight. The sooner Rhys Healey gets fit and returns the better, because he could easily be the difference between the safety of a mid table position and a relegation fight!

Any thoughts?
ACDon

Re: Southend United reviews...

Postby Furzdonny » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:38 am

I believe Paul Tisadale must have decided that two strikers in League 1 doesn't work. However, without Ben Reeves or Joe Mason, we haven't got a player so far who can play in the withdrawn striker position. He has now tried Gilbey, Boetang & McGrandles. The only ones he hasn't tried is Kasumu (who I would have thought could make a better fist of it) and Houghton.

I just don't believe his formation is working. Last season we started winning after he changed it against Newport, Dean Lewington has alluded that it's a difficult position to play and when we went to a diamond formation against Ipswich we started to play better. To go back to the original formation against Southend was ultra cautious and in fact the diamond formation would have probably stopped their goal as the player in the screenshot would have been picked up.

MK Dons v Southend.jpg
MK Dons v Southend.jpg (20.97 KiB) Viewed 136 times

I believe Paul hasn't got the players to play his preferred formation until either Ben Reeves or Joe Mason finally make an appearance and since we never recruited any wingers then the logical choice is the diamond formation. I do believe Paul Tisdale is a good tactician but like Robbo in away he is fixated with a formation and trying to get a square peg in a round hole, while Sam could do with some support upfront like he had when Rhys was fit.

I have liked an article from the other site as I couldn't have said it better, but now Paul has a big dilemma. Does he remain with his defensive formation that isn't working of does he change to a more attacking formation against a classy team like Liverpool. I guess that is why is is paid the big bucks.

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2019/09/ ... nd-united/

P>s. I know Liverpool will press hard & fast, but please let us not have 90 minutes of kicking the ball back to them. I hope the players try to vary it.
Furzdonny

Re: Southend United reviews...

Postby ACDon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:17 am

Furzdonny wrote:I believe Paul Tisadale must have decided that two strikers in League 1 doesn't work. However, without Ben Reeves or Joe Mason, we haven't got a player so far who can play in the withdrawn striker position. He has now tried Gilbey, Boetang & McGrandles. The only ones he hasn't tried is Kasumu (who I would have thought could make a better fist of it) and Houghton.

I just don't believe his formation is working. Last season we started winning after he changed it against Newport, Dean Lewington has alluded that it's a difficult position to play and when we went to a diamond formation against Ipswich we started to play better. To go back to the original formation against Southend was ultra cautious and in fact the diamond formation would have probably stopped their goal as the player in the screenshot would have been picked up.

MK Dons v Southend.jpg

I believe Paul hasn't got the players to play his preferred formation until either Ben Reeves or Joe Mason finally make an appearance and since we never recruited any wingers then the logical choice is the diamond formation. I do believe Paul Tisdale is a good tactician but like Robbo in away he is fixated with a formation and trying to get a square peg in a round hole, while Sam could do with some support upfront like he had when Rhys was fit.

I have liked an article from the other site as I couldn't have said it better, but now Paul has a big dilemma. Does he remain with his defensive formation that isn't working of does he change to a more attacking formation against a classy team like Liverpool. I guess that is why is is paid the big bucks.

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2019/09/21/paul-tisdales-tactics-mk-dons-southend-united/

P>s. I know Liverpool will press hard & fast, but please let us not have 90 minutes of kicking the ball back to them. I hope the players try to vary it.

A good article that echos a lot of Dons supporter's thoughts. Yesterday, for me, was more about the manner of defeat than the defeat itself. Whilst I agree with furzdonny about the players we have out injured and the difference they could (and hopefully will) make when they are back playing, in the meantime we need to get something out of games like yesterday but I can't see us doing it whilst tactics like the ones we used yesterday are deployed.

The Liverpool game is going to be a big earner for the club and a memorable evening, but give me a point at Sunderland next Saturday rather than a win on Wednesday any day.
ACDon

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat