Strange tactic

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Strange tactic

Postby slideking » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Dons v Bristol Rovers. One nil down. Late in added time we get a corner. All our outfield players pour into their box, except Deano who is left on his own in the centre circle. How can it be that in this circumstance, one of our best headers of the ball and one of our physically strongest, is left to defend a counterattack when he is also by far our slowest player. This absurd tactical ploy happens frequently when we have a corner, and makes me wonder if the management team is all Pete is cracking it up to be. Or am I missing something?
slideking
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: Strange tactic

Postby MKDF » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:50 pm

One example of many my friend. Plenty from which to select.
MKDF
 
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Strange tactic

Postby slideking » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Indeed.
If for statistical purposes you include the Coventry cup game, Micciche has garnered 2 points from his 8 matches in charge. This rate of accrual translates into a total of fewer than 12 points for an entire season. The lowest ever for the third tier is Cambridge, with 21 points in the 1984/5 season. I think it would be reasonable to draw conclusions from these figures, particularly as Micciche has had a run of games against less challenging opposition, and taking into account the new manager bounce factor. Is there anyone out there now who thinks we will not go down? I can't remember a worse mood around the club. I will be back next season regardless, but I think Robbie Nielson has a lot to answer for.
slideking
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: Strange tactic

Postby LinsladeDon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:32 pm

slideking wrote:Dons v Bristol Rovers. One nil down. Late in added time we get a corner. All our outfield players pour into their box, except Deano who is left on his own in the centre circle. How can it be that in this circumstance, one of our best headers of the ball and one of our physically strongest, is left to defend a counterattack when he is also by far our slowest player. This absurd tactical ploy happens frequently when we have a corner, and makes me wonder if the management team is all Pete is cracking it up to be. Or am I missing something?


What you say is absolutely correct and was so obvious I heard others make remarks about it. But there is another slant to your comment, Lewie is our captain and should be making decisions on the field of play - why didn't he direct operations and put himself in the penalty box?
LinsladeDon
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am

Re: Strange tactic

Postby ACDon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:42 pm

slideking wrote:Dons v Bristol Rovers. One nil down. Late in added time we get a corner. All our outfield players pour into their box, except Deano who is left on his own in the centre circle. How can it be that in this circumstance, one of our best headers of the ball and one of our physically strongest, is left to defend a counterattack when he is also by far our slowest player. This absurd tactical ploy happens frequently when we have a corner, and makes me wonder if the management team is all Pete is cracking it up to be. Or am I missing something?



Yes, I also commented on that, surely for corners and set pieces, Lewie and Wooton should be key men in the opponents 18 yard box. Also did anyone else notice that Lee Nicholls wanted to go up for that corner kick in the last 15 seconds of the game but his pleas fell on death ears, in desperate situations like that anything is worth trying, just ask Jimmy Glass and Carlisle fans.

Just one other thing, I think there is another player in our team who is head and shoulders in front of Lewie when it comes to being the team's slowest player. No prizes for naming him, but I think he would be very useful in a walking football side.
ACDon
 
Posts: 6470
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Strange tactic

Postby MKDF » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:33 am

slideking wrote:Indeed.
If for statistical purposes you include the Coventry cup game, Micciche has garnered 2 points from his 8 matches in charge. This rate of accrual translates into a total of fewer than 12 points for an entire season. The lowest ever for the third tier is Cambridge, with 21 points in the 1984/5 season. I think it would be reasonable to draw conclusions from these figures, particularly as Micciche has had a run of games against less challenging opposition, and taking into account the new manager bounce factor. Is there anyone out there now who thinks we will not go down? I can't remember a worse mood around the club. I will be back next season regardless, but I think Robbie Nielson has a lot to answer for.


I think if feels good to blame one individual. The fault will be spread much more widely no doubt. However, like DM now, you need the leader to have the wherewithal and skill to take the team on. Sadly the reverse has been happening since January 2016 in the championship.
MKDF
 
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Strange tactic

Postby slideking » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:34 pm

MKDF wrote:
slideking wrote:Indeed.
If for statistical purposes you include the Coventry cup game, Micciche has garnered 2 points from his 8 matches in charge. This rate of accrual translates into a total of fewer than 12 points for an entire season. The lowest ever for the third tier is Cambridge, with 21 points in the 1984/5 season. I think it would be reasonable to draw conclusions from these figures, particularly as Micciche has had a run of games against less challenging opposition, and taking into account the new manager bounce factor. Is there anyone out there now who thinks we will not go down? I can't remember a worse mood around the club. I will be back next season regardless, but I think Robbie Nielson has a lot to answer for.


I think if feels good to blame one individual. The fault will be spread much more widely no doubt. However, like DM now, you need the leader to have the wherewithal and skill to take the team on. Sadly the reverse has been happening since January 2016 in the championship.


I normally hesitate to blame one individual - I for one wanted to keep Karl on for longer than we did. However, Robbie had a whole year to get things together. He brought in his own entire management team. He brought players into the club who are manifestly not league one standard, this despite having, as was confirmed by Andy Cullen at the fan evening, a top third budget. The team was never more than the sum of its parts. Then there was the Deano debacle. This is not a personal criticism, I don't know the bloke, I just think he was not up to the job, with potentially disastrous consequences for the club.
slideking
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: Strange tactic

Postby Furzdonny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Robbie tried his best but didn't succeed, while Dan has a chance. I would prefer Lewie to be challenging for the ball at corners and keep back the wing backs, although George is good in the air, so probably Callum Brittain is a better choice. So far this hasn't resulted in a goal against us, but it may do.
User avatar
Furzdonny
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:39 pm


Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 41 guests