Blackburn reviews

General chat about the MK Dons and other footy related topics. Other related sites include:

Official website : http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome

Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association - official voice for Milton Keynes Dons FC supporters : http://www.mkdsa.com/

Moderator: MKDons Moderators

Blackburn reviews

Postby MKDF » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Probably should have got a point from that match.

I counted three possible penalty decisions that weren't given for us. Disappointing that we started so negatively. Muirhead was like a proverbial rabbit, which fits Eastertime I guess. Again we seemed to stand off far too much instead of making the other team struggle to find a pass. Plus we gave them far too much respect, and we needed more pace and experience in the starting line-up.

I liked the spirit in the second half, but the damage was already done by then. Armstrong was lethal with the space he was given.

When we approach the Wigan game, I hope we see more balance and pace, getting after them from the off.
MKDF

Re: Blackburn reviews

Postby Furzdonny » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:24 pm

I believe Dan has admitted that he was too cautious in the 1st half tactics. However, I am concerned that Lewie's & Robbie Muirhead's lack of pack has been exposed, it was similar to what happened in the 1st half against Gillingham. Personally I would have taken Lewie off rather than Robbie due to his goal threat. Wigan will seek to expose this as well. On the positive side we did battle well in the 2nd half and with a bit more luck & referee decision (similar again to Callum Brittain at Gillingham) we would have got a penalty. All is still to play for and I believe we have a good chance in staying up.
Furzdonny

Postby ACDon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:32 pm

A short but fair summary.

TBH, I thought Blackburn dropped back into second gear once they went 2-0 up, I never expected anything from this game so the fact we gave it such a good go in the second half bodes well for Wigan on Saturday. The hand ball was a stone wall penalty.

All in all not a bad performance. :)
ACDon

Postby MKDF » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Which handball? The raised arm in an unusual position or controlling the ball with an arm while prone on the ground?
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:52 pm

MKDF wrote:Which handball? The raised arm in an unusual position or controlling the ball with an arm while prone on the ground?

Definitely the raised arm in an unusual position for Me, would have also been a red card.
ACDon

Postby dons50 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:04 pm

It’s hard to say it’s deliberate when the ball is moving at that speed. We’d have pretty unhappy if given against us.
dons50

Postby ACDon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:29 pm

dons50 wrote:It’s hard to say it’s deliberate when the ball is moving at that speed. We’d have pretty unhappy if given against us.

The decision did go against us. The other thing to bear in mind is, the word deliberate doesn't come into it, if a player has his arm in a position that isn't normal and gains an advantage by handling the ball then it is a penalty.

In all fairness, I thought Blackburn were the best side (by some way) I've seen this season, they destroyed us in the first half, but total credit to DM and our players for the fight we put up. particularly in the second half, think we showed we have enough to give our survival bid a real go.
ACDon

Postby dons50 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:07 am

Deliberate most certainly does come into it. It is written clearly in law 12. That law says nothing about unnatural position. That is guidance used by refs to help them determine what’s deliberate or not. But it is only guidance. Deliberate is the key word.
dons50

Postby MKDF » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:57 am

Just to split the difference, it is the ref’s opinion which counts, as ‘deliberate’ is a subjective viewpoint. ;)

Anyway, he didn’t give it (although there was a case for deliberate IMO) and he didn’t see the arm control incident because there were players all around it. Nor did he seem to see any foul on Agard in the box. But on the whole I thought he was a good ref.

We lost because we gave ourselves too much to do. If we’d approached the game more positively the result might and should have been different, which DM to his credit acknowledges.

We should approach Wigan with confidence (that doesn’t mean recklessly though).
MKDF

Postby ACDon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 am

dons50 wrote:Deliberate most certainly does come into it. It is written clearly in law 12. That law says nothing about unnatural position. That is guidance used by refs to help them determine what’s deliberate or not. But it is only guidance. Deliberate is the key word.

The majority of penalties awarded for handball are NOT deliberate, a player on the line will make his self as big as possible to block a shot (it's the natural thing to do) and sometimes his arms will go out in a position where he gains an advantage by handballing and a penalty is invariably given, despite the fact the player had no intention of handling the ball. So much of it is down to how the Referee interprets the law, rather like the crazy offside law.
ACDon

Next

Return to Milton Keynes Dons FC - MK Dons and general footy chat